Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I set up dual video cards?  (Read 3597 times)

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    How do I set up dual video cards?
    « on: March 13, 2008, 04:39:55 PM »
    I have a Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 AM2 NFORCE 570 mb and am currently running an Nvidia 256mb 8400gs (yeah, I know, not the best card, but what I could afford when I bought it).  Anyway, a friend of mine also has an Nvidia 8400 gs that he is replacing with a better card and I was wondering what I would have to do to set them up on my system.  Do you just plug in the other card and that's it?  Which one do you connect the monitor to, or does it matter?

Also, I know both cards have to be the same, but does it matter if the manufacturer is different?

homer

Expert
      Re: How do I set up dual video cards?
      « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »
      you will need an SLI bridge. your motherboard might have come with one, if not, you will need to buy one. i believe you will also need to set up your SLI configuration in windows, however, i cannot be sure for i have never done an SLI setup before.

Also, I know both cards have to be the same, but does it matter if the manufacturer is different?

no.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »
      I've never tried it, either, but have read articles that suggest Windows will walk you through the installlation with a wizard, if as Homer cautions, your motherboard will support the arrangement.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

homer

Expert
        « Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »
        he has a 570i mobo, it will support SLI.

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 02:02:24 PM »
          I just found out that the 8400 gs does not support SLI, so the point is moot.