Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook - automatic reply to e-mail messages  (Read 3382 times)

ElsiePOA

Topic Starter

Starter

Outlook - automatic reply to e-mail messages
    « on: March 19, 2008, 02:52:06 PM »
    Every time I receive an e-mail message in my POP3 account, Outlook sends a reply message to the sender stating that I'm on vacation.  Some time ago, I was experimenting to see if I could set up such a message and apparently I was succseeful.  The problem is I'm not sure how I did it and I would like to make it stop.  I have gone through all of my rules and alerts and can't find a rule which would do this.  I have run a search on my entire hard drive to find a file containing the words in the reply message that gets sent.  I have searched for .oft files and rwz files and can't find any.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Panda25

Beginner
      Re: Outlook - automatic reply to e-mail messages
      « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:17:53 PM »
      I'm not sure what version of Outlook you have.  I am running Outlook 2003 and the way to turn it off in this version is to click tools, Out of Office Assistant, and make sure the I am currently in the office radio button is selected. 
      Hope this helps.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:43:57 PM »
      ElsiePOA, your Outlook works with an Exchange Server, right?  You use this computer is a business/office setting, right?

ElsiePOA

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:52:40 AM »
        No - I'm not on an exchange Server. I have a POP3 account and that does not have the "Out of Office Assistant" feature.

ElsiePOA

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:48:36 AM »
          I think I solved my problem.  I cancelled my e-mail account and established a new one with the same e-mail address.  As far as I can tell, Outlook has now stopped sending the automatic response.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:51:05 AM »
          The reason for my asking whether you were on an Exchange Server is this, per Outlook Help: "The Out of Office Assistant command does not appear unless you are using an Exchange Server e-mail account and you are in the Mail view."  So, I have no idea how you could have set up such an automated reply.

In your original post, you said, "Some time ago, I was experimenting to see if I could set up such a message ...".  Did this Outlook behavior start at that time or not? 

Edit: OK, I just saw your last post.  Glad to hear problem resolved.

ElsiePOA

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 08:31:04 AM »
            The way I set it up originally, was to follow instructions on the Microsoft Outlook website.  There were ( and still are) additional instructions for setting up an auto response for people using a POP3 account.  I think I set this up and it worked O.K.
            But when my computer got infected and I had to completely restore it, the program started sending these responses all the time and i couldn't find a way  to stop it