Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bring it back to Life  (Read 1935 times)

Forensic2

Topic Starter

Rookie

Bring it back to Life
    « on: March 24, 2008, 09:31:41 PM »
    Got a 5 year old Packer Bell - C: capacity: 17.7 GB ONLY USING 2.56 GB. --63.OMB RAM --WINDOWS Me - Genuine Intel - Intel(r) Celerom (tm) processor.  Just want to use it for Art program and online uses. Worrie dabout updating windows to xp cause it will use too much up?

CD - Rom drive stop working after burning a CD. Its a sony and I found others had the same thing happen to them with the same one. Funny thing was it would still read music CD but nothing else. Then that stop. With all the programs we had on it was slow and used up. So we got a new computer and kept it around.

Now I get the green light  from wiffy that I can put some money into it to beff it just alittle and at least replace the CD ROM. Most stores that sale them are for updated versions of windows etc.  Is there any companys that sale them that you can trust on line for older computer plat forms ?

One more thing in the CD -ROM drive, box with info, Device type- CD ROM,, manufatuer - standard cd-rom-device.. next is hardware version - NOT AVAILABLE is listed. Line below say this device is working properly. Yeah right it is.  Just beeps once in while and never comes up to speed.  Any info would be a help. thanks

Astoria

Intermediate

Re: Bring it back to Life
      « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »
      Having XP run smooothly on your machine, basically depends on two things:

- Processor speed
      - Amount of RAM memory

You didn't post your processor speed so I can't tell you about that, but 63Mb is not enough for XP.
      Upgrade to at least 256Mb.

About your CD Rom. You can buy any CD Rom with an IDE connector out there.
      If it says that it works with Vista, than for sure it'll work with ME.
      But make sure that the one you buy is an IDE drive and not a SATA drive!!