Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: replaced older CPU fan on AMD processor now it doesn't turn on and stay on  (Read 2806 times)

supercommando69

Topic Starter

Starter

replaced older CPU fan on AMD processor now it doesn't turn on and stay on
    hmmm...
    being the 'smart' guy i am, i decided "hey, there's a new AMD cpu fan that came with the processor, let me replace the older one (that i used from the previous AMD i upgraded o..."
    well, i replaced it. hooked up the 3 pin fan wire no problem.
    And, it won't boot up. there does still seem to be power ..that's for sure. because If i power up it'll turn the fan and the lights on the case, then it all goes out, fan stops also of course.
    for me to repeat the above, i must unplug ac power from power supply and try again to power on with power button. the same occurs again.

i have a suspicion of what might be causing this. Overheating?
    I did not apply thermal grease between the new fan /heatsink and the CPU.
    could this be the problem causing this?

but, if the above is the case, then shouldn't it stay on longer, at least until the cpu would get hot?
    i hope the CPU is ok and not fried?!

THE power supply is only about 1 month old. a Corsair 450VX and has been working great.

thanks for any help...Karim

supercommando69

Topic Starter

Starter

ok, today i pulled the processor out, and blew any dust off of it...then i reinstalled the processor, and applied the thermal grease i purchased today on top and seated the heatsink on top and secured it in place.
      i tried to boot up, at least the power stays on now..and I think i hear the harddrive also, however  I see nothing on my display and don't hear it post....
      maybe i just have to let the grease 'set' dry....and then it should work
      what you all think?

thanks
      Karim

supercommando69

Topic Starter

Starter

it won't post...at all.
        not even bios coming up it seems.
        would this be a sign of the processor being fried...?!

fpsmitch

Intermediate

try the old cpu in there and report back.

supercommando69

Topic Starter

Starter

you mean the old heatsink?
            put that back in no luck
            what i've now also tried:
            cleaned both the new and the old heat sink surfaces off with alcohol, and reapplied new thermal grease.

either heatsink and the CPU give the following:
            -computer turns on and stays on (power)
            -however does not post, nothing comes up on the display at all.
            -i've also cleared the CMOS at least 5 times and that hasn't helped either.

i'm now suspecting the CPU as the problem and am trying to shop for one...see what i can get

any other ideas?
            thanks
            Karim

fpsmitch

Intermediate

have you tried your old cpu or was it just the heatsink and fan that you changed?
              this coul also be a graphical problem. try reseating your graphics card and making sure that all of the connections are good.

CarnageX3

Rookie

Looks like me and you are having the same problem, except i didn't change  heatsinks, if you find a solution inform me.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
                  It sounds like it could be heat.  But if you installed the thermal paste properly, it should eliminate that possibility.  Clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol. Apply thin layer of paste with an old credit card or something similar. The layer should be thin and even and cover the whole heat sink.

What kind of hold down system does it have? If it is the spring type that you use a screwdriver to install, you may have damaged your mother board. Did the screwdriver slip off while installing or uninstalling?
                  Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

jimyan

Greenhorn

There are two 3-pin fan power supply in any MainBoard, make sure that you insert the fan to the CPU Fan Power - not the chasis/case fan power. Most AMD supported mainboards does not work if proccessor fan is inserted in Case fan power.

If u really inserted it in the cpu power, make sure u inserted all power supplies - the 24-pin and the 4-pin.