Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I think my external drive crashed my laptop...help please  (Read 2660 times)

luv4mylittleones

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I think my external drive crashed my laptop...help please
    « on: March 27, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »
    Hello, I'm new here and will admit I don't know too much about the workings of a computer so I will try to be as descriptive as possible.  I have a sony vaio laptop model PCG-7H1L (2 years old) running window xp media edition.  My son was playing on my computer and I got a few virus warnings (mostly cookie trackers and the like) so I cleaned up my pc and got rid of the problems.  In the process, however, I seemed to have deleted the driver for my sound/audio.  After unsuccessfully looking for a new driver, I decided that I would just restore the factory settings.  I bought a 160 GB Simpletech external hard drive to back up my files.  It took 8 hours to back up 43 GB but it was successful.  Unfortunately, after the back up was complete my computer became unresponsive.  It wouldn't shut down nor would any applications work.  I manually turned of the computer only to find that it wouldn't reboot.  When I try to turn it on, it starts to load and goes through the initial Windows screen (with the green loading bar) and then freezes when it gets to the next blue windows screen and won't go any further.  Did the external drive crash my computer?  Can it be easily fixed (by me?).  I hope this made some kind of sense and someone can help.  Thank you in advance!!!

Diane

If you're getting an error what is the error message?
    Basic details on your computer, manufacturer (Dell, HP, custom built), how much RAM, CPU (Intel/AMD), etc.
    If you're having a problem with a software program, game, or utility what version is it? If you're using  Windows this information can often be determined by pressing the F1 key.
    If you're having problems with a hardware device such as a printer, modem, video card, etc. mention if you have tried the latest drivers.
    When did the issue start occurring? Did you recently install a program, new hardware device, or visit a web page?

luv4mylittleones

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: I think my external drive crashed my laptop...help please
      « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
      OOPS....ignore the bottom portion, I put that there for me to refrence and forgot to delete it.

luv4mylittleones

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 12:34:35 PM »
        Oh...and I just remembered that my son knocked my computer off the table (onto carpet) a few days ago.  Could this have caused the problem??

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:04:09 PM »
        Oh...and I just remembered that my son knocked my computer off the table (onto carpet) a few days ago.  Could this have caused the problem??

Yup.

luv4mylittleones

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »

Yup.

Thanks...the computer did work fine after the drop.  Could it have taken a few days for the computer to malfunction?  It just seemed weird that it went screwy immediately after I finished backing it up...odd.

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »
          Something could have got jarred loose and then worked looser and looser... Simply backing up your files wouldn't cause the symptoms you describe, unless perhaps it got overheated. It's a good job you backed up your files! A though occurs to me - if the computer was switched on and running when it took a dive then the hard drive could have been damaged (the technical term is a "head crash") and further use (as in an 8 hour backup) could have made things worse.  Maybe a trip to the repair shop is needed.

In my experience laptops and young kids don't always mix very well.

luv4mylittleones

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »
            Something could have got jarred loose and then worked looser and looser... Simply backing up your files wouldn't cause the symptoms you describe, unless perhaps it got overheated. It's a good job you backed up your files! A though occurs to me - if the computer was switched on and running when it took a dive then the hard drive could have been damaged (the technical term is a "head crash") and further use (as in an 8 hour backup) could have made things worse.  Maybe a trip to the repair shop is needed.

In my experience laptops and young kids don't always mix very well.

Thanks and you are so right about the kids.  The funny thing is I never let him use my pc until this week and then wammo!!  I do have an accidental warranty at best buy so I guess I'll go ahead and bring it in.  If it's damaged because of the drop then they will fix it, if not, then I guess I'm no worse off than I am now.  Thanks again!