Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer powers up but will not boot.  (Read 3557 times)

nellie

Topic Starter

Starter

My computer powers up but will not boot.
    « on: March 27, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »
    A couple of years ago I bought an eMachines T6216 from a circuit city display. Paid about 600.00 for it and it only ran for about 6 months. I have had it put up for some time now and refuse to give up on it working again someday.

It is an eMachines T6216 with amd athlon 64bit processor (2.0 ghz), with 512 ddr sdram, nvidia geforce 6100 vid, with windows xp sp2 installed.

It powers up and I can hear the harddrive run, all the fans run, but I get no video.
    I have tried different monitors, extra video cards, and nothing happens. its still the same. So I figured maybe it was a loose cable or dusty memory so one by one i removed everything except cpu and powersupply. Nothing different. Then I removed the cpu and fan and heatsink and reseated it so to make sure they weren't loose. I also tried a diff power supply.

I just so badly do not want to have a bad MB. I would be greatfull for any suggestions. thanks.

CarnageX3

Rookie

Re: My computer powers up but will not boot.
      « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »
      Wow, i have the EXACT same problem, my computer is a emachines too, the only thing difference is your processor is 64bit, everything else is the same.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 04:39:41 PM »
      When you removed and reseated that heatsink and fan,did
      you clean them and use thermal paste ?
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

nellie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:58:33 PM »
        sure did street. I have read quite a bit of tech books. ;)

nellie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:02:43 PM »
          Wow, i have the EXACT same problem, my computer is a emachines too, the only thing difference is your processor is 64bit, everything else is the same.

wow, really..sorry to say I am happy to have found someone with the same prob as mine. What have you tried? Tonight I finally broke down and took the entire board out of its case and checked and cleaned it completely. I couldn't find any culprit that would be visible to me.

CarnageX3

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:00:14 PM »
            I just put in a new mobo, but nothing is wrong with the one that i had to replace, i just know it, i tried basically about everything, took EVERYTHING (Including processor) out except the PSU "Duh" to see if i could hear a beep or something, but still, nothing. So my guess is that lightning ran in on it while i was gone, or didn't know it, still cant believe we had tornadoes and thunderstorms in January.

Fordtruckmaniac

Apprentice

• Yes
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 03:25:10 AM »
            I just so badly do not want to have a bad MB.

nellie, I think you have already answered your question.
             Fordtruckmaniac