Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer is freaking out  (Read 4207 times)

x x

my computer is freaking out
« on: January 27, 2005, 04:26:14 PM »
when i go into explorer and go into folders containing media files, i get an error stating

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

with the signature

AppName: explorer.exe      
AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: wbhook32.dll  
ModVer: 4.5.1306.0    
Offset: 00005dd2

i know wbhook32.dll is from virus scan (i have version 4.5.1 SP1) but i dont understand why its screwing up my computer. it only started recently, and i havent installed any new programs or anything recently.

when i click "close" the taskbar and all desktop icons temporarily dissapear and everything except any "windows explorer" windows (which close themselves) seem to be intact.

HELP!!!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: my computer is freaking out
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 05:21:00 PM »
Try running a Windows Update by going to http://www.microsoft.com ... Let us know what happens...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 11:11:51 AM »
    Maybe you installed some program, some video codecs and after that the problem appeared... Nasty thing...
    When it happens to me something like this, ussually, I reinstall the windows and next time I am more carrefull. (I don`t know nothing for `unussually` :) )

x x

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 01:49:21 PM »
    i tried windows update, but im already fully up-to-date.

any other ideas?  

Adam_Kachwalla

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 02:12:03 PM »
    You may have spyware/virii/etc. on your computer(see "Freaky Thing" on "Miocrosoft Windows" for details on scanners).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do NOT get the following scanners, because it is either stupid, copied, and/or bundled with spyware/virii/etc:
    TermineXor
    Spyware Doctor
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (I'll let you know more).

Keep checking for updates on your Antivirus/Anti-Spyware/Anty-etc. software.

Also regularly check for updates for Windows(ANY VERSION-95 and up.)
    I recommend having the following:
    Spybot-Search &Destroy (http://spybot.info/en/index.html)
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoft.com)

x x

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 07:06:13 PM »
    im fairly positive i dont have any spyware. ive got 6 anti-spyware programs on my computer including spybot and adaware. all 6 turn up negative for spyware.

thanks for trying anyways, but any other ideas?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 10:13:12 PM »
    You never mentioned what version of Windows you are using...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Adam_Kachwalla

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 01:24:14 AM »
    [glb]Check for updates regularly![/glb]

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 07:45:47 AM »
    Also, having 6 antispyware programs is a WASTE of hard disk space... YOU ONLY NEED ONE! May I suggest Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 12:55:57 PM »

x x

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2005, 08:25:02 PM »
    sorry i thought i mentioned what windows version i have. i have xp.

i already checked
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000512.htm
    and my problem is not covered there.

also i have ms anti-spyware beta already.
    speaking of that, do you have any idea how to make that NOT start up at windows startup? (yes i know its unrelated).

anyways, any other ideas?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #11 on: January 29, 2005, 08:55:24 PM »
    This is also an unrelated question, but... Why do you want to disable Microsoft AntiSpyware from starting when you start the computer?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 11:41:18 PM »

"also i have ms anti-spyware beta already.
      speaking of that, do you have any idea how to make that NOT start up at windows startup? (yes i know its unrelated)."

I really don't know why you would want to do this but.....Open the app.....click options/settings/Realtime Protection.......then in Startup Options REMOVE the tick in front of ....Remove the MicroSoft  Antispy Security Agent at startup .......
      you mentioned above that you had all the windows updates ...and yet you only mention SP1 ........(then your not current with all the updates)
      dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 11:51:59 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

x x

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 10:04:38 AM »
      i have sp2 for my windows xp, but my VIRUS SCAN version is "4.5.1 SP1". im guessing the sp1 refers to some kind of virus-scan service pack.

also, i wanted to disable ms anti-spyware beta because i like to have a pure startup with maximum possible system resources free. i tried unticking the box saying "disable security agent at startup" before, but it just starts up anyway. oh well, its not important, i can disable it through msconfig.

back on topic, i think i'm just going to go out and buy the new virus-scan. i think my version is from like 1998 and id say its time to upgrade.

thanks for all the attempted help anyway!

Computer_Commando

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 11:13:20 AM »
      i have sp2 for my windows xp, but my VIRUS SCAN version is "4.5.1 SP1". im guessing the sp1 refers to some kind of virus-scan service pack....

4.5.1 SP1 is McAfee (Network Associates).  It's an older "Corporate Version" but is still supported and works with all OS's.  Latest "Scan Engine" should be 4.4.00.  Latest Virus Definitions are 4.0.4423 (27 January 2005).