Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thermal Event  (Read 2443 times)

junkerjorg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thermal Event
    « on: April 04, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »
    I have been battling a strange problem with my PC. It shut down one day and upon restart stated that it was caused by a thermal event. I pulled it apart and found the heatsink dusty but not horrible. I cleaned everything up and still had the same problem. Before changing the processor, an Intel SL6S5 3.06Ghz P4, I bought a new heatsink and a bigger fan and installed it. It worked for about a week and then quit again. I decided to change the processor, it worked a few days and then quit yet again. I then bought an identical motherboard with another processor and installed that. It worked for about 3 weeks and now it quit again, always giving me the thermal error! I am baffled! I apologize for the long intro but here is my real question. My PC is using SCSI Raid and I am not having much luck finding an upgrade motherboard that supports SCSI Raid. Can I pop a motherboard in there that has SATA Raid and make my hard drives work? I really need the stuff that is on those hard drives!! Sorry for the book I wrote, I hope someone can help!

Frustrated
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:27:07 PM by junkerjorg »
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!

homer

Expert
      Re: Thermal Event
      « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:34:11 AM »
      are you applying thermal compound every time you replace/remove the CPU heatsink?

junkerjorg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 08:39:02 AM »
        Yes, of course. The last motherboard and CPU I bought was already assembled so I left it alone. The funny thing is, NOTHING feels even remotely warm!!
        Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 09:01:33 AM »
        Are you sure the CPU header connection for the fan is on the right pins ? ?
        Double check the MBoard documentation.
        A SCSI/PCI card will work with almost any board...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "