Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Noob Like Question  (Read 2773 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Noob Like Question
    « on: April 06, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »
    My mother is a really pc illerate the thing is I dont know how long she leaves the monitor on for.  Its an LCD an I know that after a while they will burn the image of what ever on the monitor its self.  How long does it take till that happens.  Where you'll see stuff like that.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Noob Like Question
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:11:23 AM »
    LCD monitors won't burn out, only older CRTs.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
      Plasma screens too...
      But no, not LCDs as far as I know.

Still, configure Windows to turn off the monitor after X minutes... that's easier on the electrical bill and better for the environment. ;)
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »
      I believe newer plasma screens won't burn in an image -- I heard a tech expert on Chicago radio say this; however, I'm only posting to alert us that the
      change is fairly new -- there is really no reason to leave on any monitor when it is unattended or not being used.  The Energy Star settings that accompany the screen saver settings are most useful for this.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
        Sorry its a CRT, I just refer to them as monitors but that what it is sorry for the mix up.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 04:59:10 PM »
        No worries -- since it is  a CRT, it's probably not so old that it will "burn" an image, but it consumes a lot of power, so as Deerpark suggested, just from that standpoint, it's good to have it turn off itself when not in use.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »
        it's probably not so old that it will "burn" an image
        You wanted to say "will NOT", correct?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »
        There goes that Broni -- keeping me honest, again...   ;)

I threw out that sentence on the likelihood of a cathode ray tube (CRT) monitor working in 2008, if left on, will probably not "burn in" an image if the image is left on-screen too long. 

CRT's, like other electronics, (besides being heavy) can be surprisingly durable, so it is within the realm of possibility that it could be old enough to be based on technology that would not prevent the "burn in" of an image.

Please err on the side of caution, if you err at all...

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 03:23:35 AM »
          Thats good she had previously  left  it on only till I had got up.  This happend to one of the old monitors that my father had to use in his work, but I suppose cause it was older that it would happen.