Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding an IDE hard drive, to a computer with two sata2 Hard Drives.  (Read 3686 times)

Mikenet2008

Topic Starter

Starter

I tried hooking up a 60 gig IDE hard drive to my ASUS A8N5X motherboard and its not detecting it.

The computer is already set up with windows Xp and windows 98 on 2 seperate Sata2 hard drives.

The IDE hard drive is compatible with the motherboard from what I know, and Ive tired installing it with several different jumper positions.  Although Id prefer to have it on as a secondary slave drive.   All I want to do is reformat the drive so I can give it to a friend.   

Things Ive tried.....

I tried putting it in a different IDE port by removing  the DVD burner.

I tried removing the Sata2 hard drives and installing the IDE drive as a master.

I tried all 3 different jumper positions on the IDE drive.

Yet every time I boot the computer up the drive is not detected.   If you need more details about the computer just let me know.   I don't know if there is an operating system on the IDE drive but I don't think there is.   I also have no drivers for the IDE drive but I figured I didn't need drivers.   Ive never tried hooking an IDE drive to a computer already using SATA technology.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

homer

Expert
      Re: Adding an IDE hard drive, to a computer with two sata2 Hard Drives.
      « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 11:08:42 PM »
      where is it not being detected? in the BIOS or in windows?

Mikenet2008

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 04:06:25 AM »
        It was about a week ago, but im  pretty sure neither the bios or windows detected the drive

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »
          It was about a week ago, but im  pretty sure neither the bios or windows detected the drive

you need to be 100% sure or we cannot safely determine what is causing the problem.

Mikenet2008

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:00:07 AM »
            I got it to work thankfully,  the problem was just that the power cord I was using was not supplying power to the hard drive.   I tried using another one and it detected it right away.   Thanks anyway though.

kensau

Greenhorn

...heloo...
              « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:28:03 AM »
              try to put it on a primary slave...

homer

Expert
                Re: ...heloo...
                « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:42:35 PM »
                try to put it on a primary slave...

he already solved it kensau.

I got it to work thankfully,  the problem was just that the power cord I was using was not supplying power to the hard drive.   I tried using another one and it detected it right away.   Thanks anyway though.

i would think about purchasing a new power supply as the one you are currently using sounds like it wont last much longer.