Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer failing to boot, suspecting bad fan or cpu/motherboard failure  (Read 3304 times)

Simple Paws

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • Learning as I go!
         My husband reported the desktop rebooted by itself.  Gave him the Safe Mode, etc. options to continue.  All options led to another reboot.  When I tried it out it sometimes booted back to Windows, but would only stay on for approximately 25 minutes.  Now it will not boot at all.  One time both the back fan and the heat sink fan came on, but the heat sink fan puttered off.  Now only the back fan comes on at power up.  I am not versed with all of the workings of computers. 
        Jeff did not hear anything out of the ordinary when the computer rebooted.  No clicking or loud sounds.  I'm not sure if the fan was running.  I did smell "heat" when I was checking out the computer, and I know the noisy heat sink fan was not working the whole time.  I'm not sure what to check out first.  I read an article on building a computer in Maximum PC and felt comfortable opening up the box.  When I removed the CPU I noticed the center of the board is burned brown (not charred, but a brown rectangle.)  All of the wires appear to be attached properly and securely.  The fan had dust on it, but didn't appear to be too bad.  Every thing else looks fine.  The only thing newly attached to the computer was a wireless router.  The computer is three years old.  It was built using a SOYO K7VME Socket Barebones Kit, Maxtor120 GB Harddrive, Speeze Socket A/370 Copper Core Fan, AMD Sempron 2500+ Socket A CPU, Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400 Mhz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Suspecting fan, CPU, motherboard.  No noise led me to believe my hard drive was fine. ???

Crafty

Sounds to me like you have fried you CPU, by continually booting up when you had problems already. The initial problem could of been your CPU overheating, causing the comp to reboot, but there is also the chance it could of been your power supply acting up. However, I do believe you have now fried your CPU. You could try taken this CPU out and giving it a proper coat of thermal paste, just to see what happens, but just make sure you fit the fan and heatsink back properly.
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:17:37 AM by Crafty »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Replace the CPU fan before it does indeed melt.
    You may be able to rescue this machine.
    If you remove the fan take it with you to the store and they should be able to match it up with a replacement...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Simple Paws

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Learning as I go!
           I'm planning on starting with the power supply first.  Got word that my computer may be detecting a heat/fan problem and therefore not booting as a fail safe.  If the heat sink fan does not come on I will shut the computer down immediately and replace the heat sink/fan.  I live in a small town and am surprised that the local RadioShack, OfficeMax, etc. do not carry thermal paste or power supplies.  I have to order both on my own.  Since I removed the heat sink fan and CPU once already I will get the thermal paste right away to make sure I have good contact there.  From there I guess I will deal with the CPU and motherboard.
           I am confident that my hard drive and all of its belongings are still intact.  I am hoping that the CPU is fine, but will take that as it comes.  I also believe the mother board to be fine.  I don't know if I can purchase just the CPU as it came as an all in one SOYO Barebones Kit with the CPU, video card, and sound card all inclusive. 

Wish me luck!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      newegg is an excellent online retailer that has fast shipping and an excellent Customer Service dept.
      I use them quite often.

Simple Paws

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      • Learning as I go!
        Thanks for the info., I called the stores in my area and no one has thermal paste.  Go figure.  I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.  I'm a newbie at this, but the learning curve still exists so I'm confident I'll get results.  ...just takes some help from someone who has walked the same halls...

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        Try a Repair Shop...they usually give me a handful of tubes for 5 bucks....

jlsdust

Beginner

Hi, you can find the thermal paste, in computer stores like Best buy ($10 aprox), Circuit city($17 aprox), Office depot ($10), Stapples ($9), or you can try online, like newegg.com ($5 aprox. + shipping) or tiger direct.com.... you only need like 1cc...