Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: mouse simi-working or computer simi-frozen  (Read 3214 times)

acocacolagirl

Topic Starter

mouse simi-working or computer simi-frozen
    « on: April 16, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »
    I have vista.  I know very little about computers, so I'm just going to type in the stuff on the side of the computer and hope that is all you need to help me:
    HP Pavillion a6010n PC
    Intel core 2 Duo Processor E4300
    Intel Viiv Technology
    Windows vista Home Premium
    1024MB system Memory
    320gb Hard drive

We update the computer as needed.  Currently using a Hpw1907 flat screen and a compaq key board because coffee spilled on the hp keyboard so we havent used it in months.  Also using the compaq mouse because we like it better (since we got this computer)

So this morning, I attempted to switch from my husbands stuff to my stuff.  The computer switched easily to the menu page, but when I clicked on my name it did not respond promptly,  I clicked a few more times then it loaded my stuff.  At that moment, I had to take care of something when I returned later, and moved the mouse it started highlighting everything even though I wasnt holding anything down.  I clicked a couple of times to get out of the highlight mode, but when I tried to click on the next think I wanted to do, the icon responded as though it were ready to be clicked, but nothing happened.  Several clicks later, I got a response.  I desided to try a different program.  Same thing, lots of clicking, then a response, not always the expected response: When I clicked to see the next image, rather than moving forward one image, the computer would fast forward to the last image.

At that point I closed all of my programs, and loged out.  I asked my husband if he had had problems with the mouse that morning, he said no, but his Chess game was slow in responding lastnight and suggested I check the mouse connection.  I unplugged and replugged the mouse and the keyboard with no change, then I unplugged the compaq mouse thinking it had just died and tried the hp mouse but it responded exactly the same, so my husband ran a virus scan which turned up nothing even though he too was now having problems.  So he shut down the computer and tried turning it own again.  But here we still are, I can type this message to you, but if I move my mouse right now it will highlight everything and it took me a million clicks to get here!

Any ideas on how to fix it?

acocacolagirl

Topic Starter

Re: mouse simi-working or computer simi-frozen
      « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »
      Ok, never mind.  Apparently my husband didn't restart the computer after the problem despite the fact that he said he would.  So He just got home from work and desided to restart it....well, that appears to have worked, I would have done that ages ago had I known he hadn't done it!

Oh well, it gave me the oppertunity to find this great forum -even if it did take me a million clicks to get here- so I'm glad about that, because I doubt this will be my last computer issue....

Thanks anyway!

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: mouse simi-working or computer simi-frozen
      « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:49:09 PM »
      Men... ;)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

patio