Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Avast ruined my pc  (Read 4773 times)

invinciblejones

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Avast ruined my pc
    « on: April 18, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
    Ok, so I just called my pc manufacturer and they said that Avast has cleaned my whole pc off. I have nothing at all. The only way to get it back to working conditions is to recover it back to when I purchased it. Now I have to go to the shop and spend over $100 to see what they can do. This is just crazy. :'(

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Avast ruined my pc
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »
    Sorry but Avast simply does NOT do that...ignore what the shop told you.
    Remove that HDD from that machine and jumper it as a slave drive and install it in a working machine preferably with the same ver. of Windows.
    Open Windows Explorer and you will probably see all your data intact.
    Copy and burn what you need to CD and i'd then suggest a clean re-install of XP.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

elxr06

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 04:49:33 PM »
    if you installed avast right, it shouldn't destroy your computer. So just get a new copy of the windows operating system onto your computer and it'll be fine.

And install the avast or whatever programs before you do anything else then ...

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »
    if you installed avast right
    Right, or wrong, as patio said, it couldn't have happened.
    BTW...how do you install program wrong?

elxr06

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »
    i meant if you followed all the directions right and it didn't cause you any errors anytime in between.

There's no technically WRONG way to install a program but to not follow any instructions program may have been giving you.

invinciblejones

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »
      What happen was the viruses attached themselves to my regular files. So when Avast started deleting the viruses, it took the files also.

I spent the whole day calling circuit city, best buy etc. asking them how to get it fixed. All of them said I am going to have to restore it back to when I first bought it and they will try to transfer my files back to it or to a new pc.

Luckly, I found a pc company here that will restore my pc back to when it was last good and install the anti-virus software for $100. Everywhere else was going to charge at least $400.

I wish I was as smart as you guys then I would Remove the HDD and all that stuff but I'd rather let a professional handle it.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me though. This day has been awful.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:25:31 PM »
      $100 is not bad...

elxr06

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 11:49:05 PM »
      $100 is not bad...

$100 is not bad to get a new computer or what appears to be a computer that will work fine and nobody would've ever guessed it's been used before.

I would suggest to invinciblejones that he disable windows firewall and install comodo firewall. And now, that your computer is supposedly clean, I would suggest you install the anti-virus immediately and get it updated and running before you touch anything else.