Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 220V to 110V Laptop battery  (Read 4493 times)

Quakky

Topic Starter

Beginner

220V to 110V Laptop battery
    « on: April 22, 2008, 11:58:56 PM »
    Hey,
    I have some vistors from overseas who happend to bring a laptop with them but forgot to buy an adapter for their electronics since where they come from they use 220V while where I live it is 110V. However their laptop is exactly the same as mine (with the exception of theirs running on 220V), and I looked at the batteries of both laptops and I dont see a difference. Infact i am able to plug in the battery of 1 of the laptops into the other (i didnt turn the power on). so My question is Can I charge their battery on MY laptop? or can I use my battery on their laptop. it is somewhat urgent and we need to get some files from their laptop

Also if I do have to buy a VOLTAGE CONVERTER, which one do I need to buy to be able to charge thier laptop's battery (is 2000 W sufficient?)

Thanks

homer

Expert
      Re: 220V to 110V Laptop battery
      « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:42:35 PM »
      i believe the only difference between the two computers is the size of the transformer in the charger itself. if they brought their charger, compare its output to yours (the chargers should clearly say the output voltage (V, VDC, or Volts), output amperage(A or Amps), output frequency (Hz), and/or output wattage(W or Watts)). if the outputs match EXACTLY, then you can use your charger in their comp.

Also if I do have to buy a VOLTAGE CONVERTER, which one do I need to buy to be able to charge thier laptop's battery (is 2000 W sufficient?)

if the outputs of the chargers do not match and you have to buy a converter, then read the input of the 220V charger. it should say how many amps it consumes. multiply the number of amps the charger consumes with the voltage to get the wattage.

example:lets say your charger consumes 5Amps @ 120V (i dont know where you live but in north america 120V is the standard voltage)

P=I*V
      P=5*120
      P=600W

in this case the 2000W converter will be more then enough.
      « Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:34:03 PM by homer »

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
      There may be an even more simple solution to this. Check their power supply. Most modern laptop power supplies (adapters) are designed to take any input (100-220v) and cut it down to what the laptop needs. To be sure, check on their power supply and see that it lists it accepts that voltage range. In the U.S., the normal home power outlet is 60Hz and Europe is 50Hz (or vice versa, I can't remember, either way you're safe as long as the adapter says 50Hz-60Hz as most do anymore).

As long as their power supply meets that criteria, you should be able to plug it in with their adapter and it will work just fine.

If the adapter does NOT include 110-115 in its voltage range OR the frequency does NOT include 50Hz-60Hz in its power range, DO NOT attempt to plug it in or you risk damaging the power supply or even the computer.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »
        his friends are from overseas and their charger is 220V, chances are the plug type is different.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:58:22 PM »
        his friends are from overseas and their charger is 220V, chances are the plug type is different.

Universal plug adapter. Available at Radio Shack for $9.99.

Quakky

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »
          Just wanted to say that actually I ended up saving 10 bucks .. Since i had the same exact plug that goes from the laptop to the adapter , i just swiched the part of the cable that goes into the walljack from his socket type to mine..and it worked perfectly. the adapter that comes with the laptop did its job and the laptop worked.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 01:50:59 PM »
          Nicely advised, Quaxo and Homer, but I especially compliment Homer on the breakdown of his advice.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
          Just wanted to say that actually I ended up saving 10 bucks .. Since i had the same exact plug that goes from the laptop to the adapter , i just swiched the part of the cable that goes into the walljack from his socket type to mine..and it worked perfectly. the adapter that comes with the laptop did its job and the laptop worked.

Oh, excellent. I thought it would work. I haven't seen a laptop in a long time that doesn't take any power input. Glad you got that sorted out.