Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hibernate doesn't work  (Read 2539 times)

Soviet_Genius

Hibernate doesn't work
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:57:49 AM »
Half the time when I try to hibernate my computer, I get the data execution prevention window, which says "To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.  Name: Windows Explorer  Publisher: Microsoft Corporation" Then I get the "explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience." and the send or don't send error report thing. It started sometime last week, and I'm pretty sure I didnt install anything.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Hibernate doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:16:03 AM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:42:50 AM »
1.   When you receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section, click Change Settings.
2.   Click to select the check box next to the program, and then click Apply.
3.   When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK two times, and then restart your system.

For this method, there is no Change Settings button. For the other method, I can't add an exeption because the data execution prevention is set to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" and I can't add exceptions in this mode. I'd rather not turn this on for all programs because I get the feeling its gonna open this error for a lot of stuff I try to run. It also says to update the program that is causing the error, but since in my case it's explorer, wouldn't it be updated through windows update?

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »
Hibernate, sleep, or whatever else...those things never worked well on Windows. Turn it off, if you don't use it.

cryhelp

Hopeful
  • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
    « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 12:36:40 PM »
    Hibernate, sleep, or whatever else...those things never worked well on Windows. Turn it off, if you don't use it.  I'm with Broni, a few years ago that nearly drove me to drink, so now I don't even fool with it. :)
    "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »
      I agree with broni and cryhelp  cause I had the same problem about a year ago I would let it go into sleep mode but when I wanted to use the dvd drive i could'nt when I wold click on a game that required a cd it would just say insert disk try again.) But since I turned that off everything works great