Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound works for few hours after restart, then no sound until I restart computer  (Read 3269 times)

thomasjefferson

Topic Starter

Starter

I get sound from my speakers just fine after I restart the computer, and it works fine for anywhere from about 3 hours to about 20 hours after the restart. Then no sound at all until I restart.

The problem seemed to arise shortly after I installed Norton 360 (an upgrade to the Norton Internet Security I was running). I have had a "chat" with Norton Support twice now, and they were worthless. They don't even read carefully what you're telling them, so they try to make the problem something other than what you have said.

I would be so grateful if you can help me fix this problem. Thanks.

brett74

Apprentice

try uninstalling norton and then give it a try. I think norton maybe the culprit

thomasjefferson

Topic Starter

Starter

Brett74,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have any more the previous version of Internet Security that I was using, so I'm reluctant to remove Norton 360, which I otherwise like.

Anybody else have a suggestion?  It seems to me that this must be a very specific problem with a specific answer, since all works just fine after restart, but only for a matter of hours.

TJ

midsail

Hopeful
          • Experience: Experienced
          Have u tried going to Start>Control panel> Admin Tools> Event Viewer. Look for a circle red X. The event viewer will at least give u a starting piont to troubleshoot. Write back with infor.

thomasjefferson

Topic Starter

Starter

Midsail,

Thanks for your reply.

There are quite a few red Xs (but a small minority of all of the entries in the Event Viewer).  Here is the most recent one, an "application hang error" on 4/24 that says:

"Hanging application wmplayer.exe, version 11.0.5721.5145, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
            http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp"

There are a number of "hang errors" involving iexplorer and other applications, and there are other red Xs as well.  Any specific ones I should be looking for?

TJ

brett74

Apprentice

avg is a really good anti virus I use it and it's free. Norton is a resource hog

angiebaby

I am having the same problem! I've only noticed it the past couple of days and ironically, I just renewed my norton subscription 2 days ago, hmmmmm. I will see if I can't get any info out of them myself and if this seems to be a problem with a lot of other people or not or what's going on... I'll come back to post if I learn anything helpful!