Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Non-responsive computer  (Read 3350 times)

berlinsh

Topic Starter

Starter

Non-responsive computer
    « on: May 11, 2008, 03:20:44 PM »
    I have a problem that I've not had before.  My desktop monitor shows the screen that it would show if I had pressed the monitor button that controls the brightness, width, height, etc. of the screen.  The desktop computer will not respond to ANYTHING, including keyboard, mouse, ctrl-alt-delete, etc.  I turned the computer off and re-started it, and still no change.  I turned off the power strip, waited a few minutes, turned everything back on, and still no change.  The only thing working is my internet connection, and I know this because I can use the laptops in the house with the wireless card.  At this point, I can't use the desktop computer or the printer. 

Any ideas?

coswald23

Rookie

Re: Non-responsive computer
      « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
      do you have any start up disks for your pc??? try those. If not try to find some for your floppy. if you dont have a floppy. well then I am at a loss.

berlinsh

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 06:15:37 AM »
        Looked for the disks, so far no luck.  It's an eMachines computer, running Windows XP, with sp2.  All I really want to do is a system restore to a point a week or so ago, but can't even get the computer to respond.  Thankfully, the internet and router are still working.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:55:45 AM »
        Just so we get a better understanding, when you turn the computer on what does the monitor show when it freezes?

berlinsh

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
          I wish I could give you a screenshot.  It's a blue screen, with the box in the middle which "usually" allows you to adjust monitor settings (using the buttons on the front of the monitor), such as brightness, width, height, gauss, etc.  None of the buttons on the front of the monitor are functioning, and even on cold boot, this screen comes up.  The mouse, ctrl-alt-delete, function keys, etc. are all non-functioning.  Last night, I thought maybe they only SEEM to be nonfunctioning since I cant get the monitor to show anything but what I described above.  I'm usually pretty good at figuring the "techie" stuff out, but not this time, I'm afraid. 

AllStarGamer

Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:22:32 AM »
            If possible you should try and connect another monitor to your computer. Could be your monitor has gone bad, video card gone bad, possibly needs updating of the driver. Best bet is to get another monitor on there to test it.

berlinsh

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:41:41 AM »
              Is there any way to test the monitor using my laptop?  I don't have any other monitor.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 02:53:39 AM »
              Try and use someone else's monitor and plug it into a port on your laptop that should look like this:

I suggest plugging it in first before turning on the computer.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »
                Could also be the button on the monitor that turns on the "settings" feature is stuck in the closed position.  That would make it stay on constantly.

Alan <><  :D
                I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!