Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: auto dialing  (Read 4034 times)

jessie j

Topic Starter

auto dialing
    « on: May 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM »
    my computer tries to dial out several times a day. i have turned off all the automatic updates i could find. i have disabled all the start up programs. this is a new computer, purchased in feb. 08. i have contacted HP for help on their live chat 2 times. they were not able to help. i contacted my isp and they were no help. is there any way i can find out what program is trying to dial?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: auto dialing
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:17:00 AM »
    What do you mean by 'dial' and who does it dial?

It would also be helpful if you tell us your Operating System (e.g. Windows XP, Windows Vista, ect...)

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
      « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 06:23:48 AM »
      if you are on a dial-up connection, a program may have been set-up to check for updates, or sync mail every day at certain times. you may need to look for at all of your mail client programs and anti-virus/anti-spyware program.

cryhelp

Hopeful
      • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
        « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:33:39 AM »
        Assuming you have IE have you checked your options under tools=connections?  If you are not using any Norton/Symantec products you can try seeing if
        the Symantec LiveUpdate program, has been uninstalled in Add/Remove
        programs. If it hasn't, try uninstalling it, to see if that deals with
        the issue.  See how hard it is to guess your problem.

Please read:  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33597.0.html

"Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

jessie j

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:02:37 PM »
          Thanks to all who replied. I have windows vista premium on the computer and use internet explorer. "the computer" dials my ISP. I can be in another room and hear the dialing, it connects and stays connected till I disconnect. I have unchecked the "connect automatically" in the dialog box to keep it from dialing. This takes care of the dialing out, but this does not stop it from trying. Sorry if I have not given enough info. I use McAfee suite for virus etc. protection. I check manually for all updates.
          Thanks again.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »
          If it is not inconvenient, unplug the line cord from the back of the computer until you've checked out some of these other settings.  Plug in, for now, when you need to go on line.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

cryhelp

Hopeful
          • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
            « Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »
            Click Start, then right click MY Network Places,click Properties,click Advanced, click Dial Up Preferences,  click Enable Auto Dial by Location, Uncheck All LocationsCheck Always Ask Me Before Auto Dialing, check Disable Auto Dial While I am logged On, In the Enable Auto Dial by Location Box select each location for which you want Auto Dialing Feature to Operate.  REBOOT

If that don't do it, you are going to have to enter registry and disable some dialing.  However you need to wait for Someone named Patio, Broni or some other Moderator/Mentor to drop by.

I do some stuff in my registry as needed but would never advise someone else, Too much can go wrong.
            "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
            I'll bet my bottom dollar it's HP phoning home...even their printers will do this ad naseum...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

flipflopjd

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »
              I'll bet my bottom dollar it's HP phoning home...even their printers will do this ad naseum...

LMAO ;D

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
                • Yes
                • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
              « Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 04:15:21 PM »
              Agreed.  I try only to install the HP drivers themselves, but it's not always easy to do that.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Broni

Mastermind
              • Kraków my love :)
                • Computer Help Forum
              • Computer: Specs
              « Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 06:21:44 PM »
              Download HijackThis:
              http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
              Click on Download HijackThis Installer
              Post HijackTHis log.