Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Harddrive help  (Read 2544 times)

Babare

Topic Starter

Starter

Harddrive help
    « on: May 13, 2008, 09:30:39 PM »
    For the past 2 weeks my hard drive has been running all the time. I have not downloaded anything for over a month and do regular virus/adware/spyware scans. It also seems to be running pretty slow on startup. The only things I have on startup are all the drivers I need to have, nothing more. It takes the Networks (internet connection) 3 minutes to load everytime.

It has really effected my gaming too. After about an hour of playing any video game, the game starts lagging really bad and I have to restart. Only to do this in another hour.

Any help is appreciated.

homer

Expert
      Re: Harddrive help
      « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:10:51 AM »
      i would replace the harddrive ASAP.

just an added question, how do you know that your harddrive has been running all the time?

Babare

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:24:38 AM »
        The hard drive is only 2 months old and doesn't make any noises or anything.

And the HDD light is always on. That is how I know it is running all the time. Before 2 weeks ago the light would rarely turn on after boot up.

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:37:24 AM »
          can you try with another HDD?

you can get them dirt cheap anyway.

even borrow one from a friend?

JJ 3000

Egghead
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 01:00:17 AM »
          The hard drive is only 2 months old
          During the installation of the new drive the RAM modules may have become unseated. Turn off, then unplug your machine and open the case. Ground yourself and then make sure the RAM sticks are securely in place. Also while you have it open you could try to disconnect and then reconnect your Hard Drive's cable.
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

homer

Expert
            « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 01:18:13 AM »
            The hard drive is only 2 months old and doesn't make any noises or anything.

i have had new harddrives die on me within a week, age is negligible. programs taking forever to load up and slow startups are some of the first signs of a dying harddrive. however, i dont believe the harddrive is the problem with regards to the games lagging, i believe that might be caused by something else. still, i would find a replacement HD as soon as possible.

During the installation of the new drive the RAM modules may have become unseated.

i do not believe any of his issues are to do with improperly seated/defective RAM.

Babare

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 02:01:43 AM »
              The hard drive is only 2 months old
              During the installation of the new drive the RAM modules may have become unseated. Turn off, then unplug your machine and open the case. Ground yourself and then make sure the RAM sticks are securely in place. Also while you have it open you could try to disconnect and then reconnect your Hard Drive's cable.

Can't be as it worked for 1 and a half month without me touching the tower or its components.

I was wondering if I just got a faster HD for boot up/games and then keep this one for everything else I dont use to much(until it fails, if it does).

homer

Expert
                « Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »
                I was wondering if I just got a faster HD for boot up/games

i would stick with the standard 7200RPM HD's, a faster harddrive will make your comp boot a little faster, but will not improve the smoothness of your gameplay, it wil merely shorten the game load time.

Babare

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »
                  I just downloaded panterasofts HDD Health program and it says the health is 64%. I ran the check on my 5 year old computer and the health is still at 100 even after running at full capacity that whole itme.

homer

Expert
                    « Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 12:25:17 PM »
                    kinda supports what i said earlier regarding HD age.

i have had new harddrives die on me within a week, age is negligible.