Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: If laptop is on for a few hours it just switches itself off, dies, i can restart  (Read 2739 times)

andy007

Topic Starter

Rookie

If laptop is on for a few hours it just switches itself off, dies, i can restart it, it works again for a while, all random times then goes off again. I use windows xp, laptop is a hp pavilion zd series. It does get very hot and the fans are going full blast, i checked them and cleaned them from dust, (there was not much in them though) any ideas ?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Can you change your post so it isn't all in bold.

It is very likely your computer is cutting out because it is getting too hot.
    To confirm this, try using your computer right next to a fan or air-con and see if the computer turns off.

You might want to know that if you play games on your computer, it will get hot faster than if you leave it because of the processing power the computer is using. Keep that in mind.

andy007

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi, A desk fan helped, you should not have to do this though ! I upgraded the memory a bit, so now i have taken that back out and put the old one back in, this seems to help, it's been running a while now with anti spyware and antivirus checkers running, still quite hot, but no cut out yet ?
      [/color]

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      If it's staying on with the fan next it, it has to be a cooling problem. Have you had this problem before or just after you put the new memory in? (assuming by 'memory' you mean 'RAM')

andy007

Topic Starter

Rookie

It seemed to do it after i fitted more ram, come to think about it !

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        So what happens if you remove the added ram?

andy007

Topic Starter

Rookie

It seems ok without the ram in, but its slower, i wanted it faster that's why i done it, any ideas ? to speed it up ?