Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Booting an external hard drive  (Read 4554 times)

saferguson

Topic Starter

Starter

Booting an external hard drive
    « on: May 15, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »
    My laptop encountered electrical problems, but I was able to remove the hard drive before it crashed. I can now access the hard drive from another laptop through an adaptor. However, I can't access the email that is on it. Is there a way to do this?

Many thanks

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Booting an external hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:59:11 PM »
      Heres a few things you can try, transfer your info over.  Remove the drive inside the pc.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:37:37 AM »
      Your post is unclear on which drive you are trying to access as you mention both a laptop and an external drive...
      Please clarify and provide more details on how you are "connecting" it.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

saferguson

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »
        I am trying to access the email information on the external hard drive. I can access most of the files by using a USB adaptor with another laptop (not mine to remove the drive from unfortunately!). However, when I try to access Outlook Express it prompts for information to create a new account and doesn't seem to have any of my past email stuff there. Is there a way to get that info? I thought perhaps there was a way to boot up the external drive.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »
        You need to locate the WAB (Windows Address Book) file to recover your contacts, it's default location is:
        C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\USERNAME.wab

A tool for extracting e-mails and attachments from the DBX files can be found here:
        http://macallan.club.fr/index.htm

Default location of the files is:
        C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Your information will not appear in Outlook Express on the other computer until it is properly imported into it.

saferguson

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 02:59:04 PM »
          quaxo

Your posting has been a great help.
          Many thanks