Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shutdown dialog won't come up  (Read 2249 times)

JohnK

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Shutdown dialog won't come up
« on: May 20, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »
I've noticed this weird problem..
I have Windows XP Professional SP3 (I've had SP3 installed since I installed windows last, cause i slipstreamed it), and every time I go to shut down, i click Start > Shut Down, and then nothing happens. My computer just locks up for about 10 minutes, and then finally starts responding again, but no shut down dialog. This just recently started happening, but I can't think of anything i've installed that would cause this.. and no, I don't have system restore enabled, so I can't do that.
Any suggestions?
-John

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Shutdown dialog won't come up
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and go into the Task Manager and look to see what is eating up the CPU % during shutdown hang. You will have to sort by % to have the System Idle Process at the top and look at the next few services etc below that and write them down and report back here or search Google with them in reference to system hang to see if you get any hits.

Also look to see if there are any hung apps that might not be in view, but in a hung state.

Also check Event Log of system for any error blats. Unsually problems like this will blat about a service or something hanging to give you a direction to go in.

What is happening is that an event is in a hung state and until the timeout it hangs from the sound of it.

Also I have seen this behavior with some HP Printer Software Packages which are flawed, which have critical security updates for that are not Microsoft Updates, but HP Critical Software Updates where a hacker could get in, and this software is so flawed that it causes the system hangs you report. I saw this with a HP All-in-one 5510 Printer/Fax/Scanner at my company. Ran patch and all was better, no more system hangs and no more vulnerability with HP Software/drivers!!!