Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I revert to a previously saved version of a Word document?  (Read 2528 times)

ankenymd

Topic Starter

I had two versions of a document saved on my computer; one on the desktop, one in a file folder in My Documents. I thought I was working with the document in the file folder in My Documents (we'll call it the "My Doc" file), but I was actually working with the desktop file (Desktop). I wanted to update and save My Doc while keeping the other version (Desktop) as it originally was before the update (making a sort of archive of progress with the document). But, instead of doing that, I got confused and saved Desktop as the changed, new version, and then, in a effort to make sure I was saving the right document, did a Save As and saved (and replaced) the My Doc file. So my questions are:

Is there anyway that I can revert to the original document (before I Save and Save As'd the documents), in either the Desktop or My Documents? Is there an AutoRecovery file or something like that that may have been preserved before I saved both documents as the new, changed file?

mektek

Hopeful
    • Witty comment to be advised
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: How do I revert to a previously saved version of a Word document?
      « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 02:08:49 AM »
      What type of document created by what type program?

If it was word using Word 2003 upwards then you may be able to revert if you had document tracking option switched on (it isn't normally on by default). Type in document tracking in your world help menu to learn about it if you are using Office 2003 or later.
      Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
      A computer that was working until tinkering broke it