Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-ROM QUIT WORKING  (Read 3229 times)

Anyname

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

CD-ROM QUIT WORKING
    « on: May 24, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
    Hello,

I have a Dell c610 notebook. Windows 2000  The cd-rom quit working.
    (NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A) It will not read a disk.

I can't find an updated driver on the internet. I have unistalled, reinstalled, trouble shot, etc.  Everything shows OK.

Took some advice to remove filters from reg.  No filters showed, so I did not delete anything.  After doing a search, the upper filter was located a
    few files down and the lower filter was located way down in the Enum folder in the Modem file. I don't know what that means or much about working in the reg.

But I recently switched from dial up to cable Internet, which was around the same time the cd-rom stopped working.

Could there be a connection, what is your advice on fixing the problem? 

The floppy disk drive module works fine when it is in the same slot.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: CD-ROM QUIT WORKING
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »
    Have you tried a CD-Cleaning disc to make sure the drive is clean?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 01:46:13 PM »
    Win2K should not need drivers for any CD/DVD unit...
    Remove the drive and use a flashlight to see if there are any obstructions or obvious damage...although this is unlikely since the floppy works.
    Is it seated fully ? ?
    How old is the drive ? ?
    Unfortunately since it's a laptop drive the only way to test it properly is in another laptop of the same make.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:56:43 PM »
    Is it listed in Windows Explorer/Device Manager?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:01:57 PM »
    The Dell Latitude C610 was manufactured in 2001-2002. Being that the drive is over 6 years old, it has probably given up the ghost.

How is the rest of the computer holding up? If you really wanted to, there are places out there where you can older replacement CD drives. Then again, who knows... the whole system could go kaput next month.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 10:22:16 PM »
    The Dell Latitude C610 was manufactured in 2001-2002. Being that the drive is over 6 years old, it has probably given up the ghost.

I always hear of stuff failing after only a few years- for some reason I have only had a video card fail. My laptop is over 14 years old and hasn't been formatted since then, and my Toshiba Satellite is 13 years old and works fine, I just- um- lost a few screws so the case sometimes come off on it's own....

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 04:28:21 AM »
    I always hear of stuff failing after only a few years- for some reason I have only had a video card fail. My laptop is over 14 years old and hasn't been formatted since then, and my Toshiba Satellite is 13 years old and works fine, I just- um- lost a few screws so the case sometimes come off on it's own....

Yeah, I had a Toshiba Satellite laptop for 6 or 7 years. The screen finally went out and I didn't bother replacing it, I just got a new laptop. 6 or 7 years... several liquids spilt on it and numerous drops. Surprised it lasted as long as it did  :P

I think you've just been lucky, but then again it might just depend on the conditions the laptop gets used in. Who knows...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 04:03:31 PM »
    well aside from the missing screws on the satellite Pro, and gaping hole in the side of my thinkpad, my laptops are gently used at best. They come in handy for when my main computer is too busy performing some maintenance task, so I can pass the time with some Mario Brothers or something.

I heard of gamecubes "failing" weeks after purchase. Apparently the owner wasn't very good at games and had a bad temper, often the leading cause of console mortality.

As per the laptop;

can it read factory discs? Audio CDs? etc. Try All sorts of Discs, my laptop was built in the old days of CD-ROM and has trouble with the new-fangled CD-RW, and can only read certain kinds of CD-R, but has no problem reading stamped CDs.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.