Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse AND keyboard not working  (Read 2471 times)

aprilsprings29

Topic Starter

Mouse AND keyboard not working
    « on: May 25, 2008, 03:20:34 PM »
    I was having a lot of trouble with my USB ports and my keyboard was not working because of it. So I went to device manager and tried to disable and enable the devices. I accidentally disabled the universal host controller. Now I don't have a mouse or a keyboard to fix it and I need to enable it again. My problem is I have no clue how since I don't have a keyboard or a mouse that's working. My computer won't recognize them. I have Windows XP Home Edition.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Mouse AND keyboard not working
    « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 03:38:25 PM »
    Welcome to the forums!

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?  (As the computer boots up, you press the F8 key repeatedly until you get the boot options menu.) 

You should get a black screen with white text that is titled "Windows Advanced Options Menu."  Please select Safe Mode and see if you can use the keyboard and mouse in safe mode, and then perhaps re-enable the USB.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

aprilsprings29

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »
      Thanks!

Okay, so now I'm in safe mode but only the keyboard is working now. I'm using an old keyboard that doesn't use a USB port and it doesn't have a start key. I'm not sure what to do now since I can only maneuver by the keyboard?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »
      Restart in normal mode, and see, if mouse will get re-detected.

Denzle

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »
        i had a problem similar to this..sort of, i had a USB mouse and a regular keyboard but, i dont remember which it was, one of them wasnt working or maybe both werent working. My bro just took me to the store and i bought a new keyboard (Saitek eclipse with LEDs same color as my towers front..plasticy picture things.) that attatched through USB and everything worked fine you might have to do that, my keybord was $30 but im sure you can find one cheaper..or maybe not im not exactly up-to-date with keyboard prices
        "i became insane over long intervals of horrible sanity"
                                                                         -Edgar Allen Poe