Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer freezes at the safe mode start up menu  (Read 3403 times)

lausein

My computer freezes at the safe mode start up menu
« on: May 26, 2008, 06:27:38 PM »

It keeps freezing here no matter what option I pick. Before it did this I would pick an option and it would try start up but, then restart and go back to the same screen. Finally it stop doing that and just freezing.

How should I go about fixing it without having to dump everything and going anew.

cryhelp

Hopeful
  • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
    Re: My computer freezes at the safe mode start up menu
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:36:34 PM »
     I had this same problem once and it turned out to be the display adapter card that was plugged into slot had come loose for some reason,  You might check that.  Also check your Fans to be sure all are running and it's not a heating problem.  If the problem is none of those and you can't boot into safe mode the only other option I know is  insert your retail copy of XP and do a repair
    installation....then redo all of the updates.

However, there are some really smart knowledgeable people on this forum so you might wait on the repair until one of them drops by with better solution.

It would really help if you listed your computer specs.
    "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: My computer freezes at the safe mode start up menu
    « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 05:17:46 AM »
    Boot to your XP CD...
    At the first prompt type "R" for the Recovery Console.
    It will ask which Windows installation you want to fix (you should probably only have one) highlight it and hit Enter.
    After the Recovery Console loads and you are at a DOS-prompt looking screen type fixboot and hit Enter.
    Remove the XP CD and re-boot.

If this does not work repeat the above procedure only this time type fixmbr and hit Enter...again remove the XP CD and re-boot.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "