Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shutting down at random times...very confused...  (Read 2414 times)

kmy15317

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer shutting down at random times...very confused...
    « on: May 27, 2008, 01:11:06 PM »
    So I got a computer back in the Christmas of 2005 and used it on and off between then and August of 2006. Then I had moved out and it sat until recently, May of 2008. So it wasn't used in 2007 at all.

Recently, when I had hooked it back up, it ran fine for the first few days. Then about a week later, it was randomly shutting down by itself...The lights were still on, on the computer itself...but nothing would appear on the screen. The monitor seems fine as it's hooked up to an older computer I have now...

could this be the battery on the motherboard that's making the computer not respond? Also, for a little more help...

After this problem began, when starting up, I would go to click on the START menu and the screen would just go blank...or if I'd try to access MY COMPUTER...it only did this a few times but other times it did not. The last time it had shut down like this was when I was listening to music and it randomly shut down as I had previously said...I didn't bother trying to restart it and just hooked up my backup computer.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...I can't spend $75 for someone to just look at it like I've had to do before with this computer I'm using...

This is what I do know about the computer:

It's a Gateway, made in 2005. Has 160 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM (I do believe)

It is a Windows XP SP2 (It came with it when bought). It has AVG antivirus on it...

It's about all I know...Like I said it's fairly new but has sat for about a year not being used...

I've searched all over for an answer but nothing really seems to match up...

Help...............!

stevejohnson1958

Re: Computer shutting down at random times...very confused...
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:31:30 PM »
    It sounds to me as if your computer may be overheating...and shutting down is its way of protecting components from being damaged.

The first thing I'd look into...clean the inside of the computer with compressed air (NOT A VACUUM CLEANER).  Removing the dust and debris within your computer would be your first step.

Disconnect all cables and power from your computer and perform the above maintenance.

If your computer is still doing the same thing...get back in touch with us.

kmy15317

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:39:14 PM »
      Okay I  will do that. I had tried it before the other day but it was so hard taking the computer apart....I'll try again to see if it works. I'll keep you posted on the progress!

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »
      Pay special attention to your vents...and the dust accumulation around the processor core.

kmy15317

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »
        Well I cleaned the computer out pretty well and got a lot of the dust out...I plugged everything back in and it started right up and I got logged on...So far nothing bad...am doing another virus scan right now...just keeping my fingers crossed!

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:32:47 PM »
        Sounds like a plan...

Keep us posted...

kmy15317

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
          So far so good...I did a full virus scan and all is okay...I've had the computer on for a little over an hour and it hasn't shut itself off yet...

So as of now I'm guessing it's okay...if anything else comes about I'll be sure to update on the issue!