Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor/Graphics Card/Ubuntu problem  (Read 2218 times)

jfh

Monitor/Graphics Card/Ubuntu problem
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:30:48 PM »

I have a Gateway 704GE computer using XP Serv. Pack 2, 3.40Ghz Intel Pentium4, 197 G free HD space, 2GB memory.My monitor is by Gateway. My graphics card is ATI Radeon X300SE, set at max refresh rate of 75Hz. My problem arose when I installed the most recent version of the Ubuntu linux program v. 8.04. With this version, it can be installed as a Windows program. At one point during the long installation (as a Windows program) a small blue box appeared with the legend: "Out of Range 46.4kHz/87 Hz". The box went away and the installation seemed to be completed successfully. However, when I tried to shut down Ubuntu, the blue box appeared again with the the same message. This time, my computer froze, and I had to unplug it in order to free it up and reboot it in Windows. Can anyone tell me the meaning and importance of the message in the blue box and what, if anything, I can do to avoid a repeat of this problem. I enjoy using Ubuntu, but certainly don't want to have my computer freeze up each time I try to exit it. I have never previously had any kind of problem with my monitor or graphics card.