Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop won't turn on, is power cord broken?  (Read 2412 times)

jfisch

Topic Starter

Laptop won't turn on, is power cord broken?
    « on: May 30, 2008, 10:30:58 AM »
    My laptop shut off this morning and will not come back on.  Last night it was sitting on a couch and was heating up a lot, but it operated fine and shut down normally.  This morning my roomate was using it on another surface that causes it to heat up.  Both it and the power cord were significantly hot.  She tells me that it shut down spontaneously and will not turn on again.  No lights, no response, nothing.  She gave it nearly an hour to cool, to no avail.  It is not taking a charge, its power lights won't come on when plugged in.  My roomate told me that it didn't appear to be taking a charge while it was still running today, but she's not sure if it died from a low battery or if it burned out.  My computer has never really done something like this before.  It overheated once before and came back an hour later, and it was able to charge while turned off.

Does this sound like a problem with the power cord and not the computer?  I wasn't there when it shut down and I don't have the details.  Does anyone know if there's a way to tell whether or not my power cord is broken and the computer is just on a dead battery?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Laptop won't turn on, is power cord broken?
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:51:23 AM »
    try a new battery
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

homer

Expert
      « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »
      before trying a new battery, i would use a voltmeter and test to see if you are getting the correct voltage output on your charger. also, are you sure the receptacle that you plugged your charger into is working? by receptacle i mean the wall plug.

jfisch

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 04:01:01 PM »
        I tried several outlets that are working for other appliances, so that's not the problem.  It's completely unresponsive.  I don't know what a voltmeter is or how I would use one.  I don't want to go out and buy a new charger only to find out that the computer itself is broken.

The computer is about 5 years old, but has had its HD recently replaced.  It has given me no real problems until now.  Is it normal for a computer to completely die in an instant like this?  Any help would be really greatly appreciated.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Computer Hope
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 09:29:03 PM »
        Unfortunately sounds to me as if one of the boards (e.g. internal power converter board) has failed or gone bad in the computer. To resolve this issue you'd need to have the laptop serviced and fixed.

Is it normal for a computer to completely die in an instant like this?

Not normal of course, but definately can occur. I've actually dealt with several dozen laptops that have encountered this issue in the past.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
        -Albert Einstein