Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor getting no signal.  (Read 4177 times)

mrtwig913

Topic Starter

Starter

Monitor getting no signal.
    « on: June 01, 2008, 04:08:21 AM »
    Awhile ago, my house had a power surge and my computer burned out. After attempting reboot, everything seemed fine but the monitor would not get a signal. I talked to the support website for my motherboard, described my problem and they came to the conclusion that the motherboard was the problem.

A week later, my new motherboard arrives, I try booting and have the same problem. I ask the website again and they now believe that the RAM is the problem, I replace both sticks of RAM with two new sticks, try booting and have the same result (I have tried booting with each stick one at a time, no difference)

Next I try replacing the video card, after booting with all new components, I am still getting the same result.

Finally I replace the power supply, assuming that is the only thing left that can be a problem, and still the same thing, no signal.

I am very annoyed with this problem, I was wondering if anyone had any idea on a solution? I have tried resetting the CMOS which didn't help either. I am also 100% sure that all components are seated correctly and all power connections are secure.

Thanks,
    MrTwig

Edit: I forgot to say that I tried 3 different monitors each time I replaced a component, just to be sure.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Monitor getting no signal.
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 04:19:28 AM »
    Are you getting any beeps when booting?

mrtwig913

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 04:22:51 AM »
      I don't think so.

There is something similar to a beep but I think it is the hard drive booting.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 04:30:48 AM »
      Hard drives don't beep.

But if it's just a single beep, that's a normal POST beep indicating everything is ok.

Do you see the BIOS screen or anything when you turn it on or does the screen just remain black?

mrtwig913

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 04:32:21 AM »
        Yeah, there is no beep.

Also the screen is entirely black, a message pops up that says No Signal and then the monitor goes into sleep mode

daryllsilorio

Intermediate

• "Say hello to my little friend!"
          « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 05:02:45 AM »
          there could be a problem on your mother board sence it does not give any beep. try to remove the memory if its give a simultaneos beep
          maygering

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 07:46:37 AM »
          Post your system specs.
          Try the onboard video.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 07:51:08 AM »
          I'd also try a different monitor...

The problem may not lie within the confines of your computer, but the monitor.  Power surges don't just affect the computer...they affect other peripherals, as well.
          « Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:01:14 PM by Saviour »

xavier

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 12:57:57 PM »
          Use 1 stick of memory,cpu, video,& keyboard hooked up to board. Do this out of the case.With a small screwdriver short the powerswitch [use your motherboard front panel page to find this] when you short the power switch the CPU fan should turn on & you should get a signal.If you do not then it is 1 ore more of your  componets .If you dont get a light on the key board i would say it is poss. the board? Have you tried another v card?

xavier

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
          Forgot to mention when you do this test put the board on a non metalic base such as a piece of cardboard.

JJ 3000

Egghead
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 03:18:31 AM »
          I have tried resetting the CMOS

So you can go into CMOS without the monitor messing up?

then the monitor goes into sleep mode

If you check out your POWER options in CMOS you can disable sleep mode

Also you should read through all of your new motherboard documentation. There may be something you overlooked in the initial installation that may be very simple to correct.
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

xavier

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
          You have a component issue here & the only way to find the PBLM. is to trouble shoot it like i posted earlier.