Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive all files are lost  (Read 2206 times)

jroach15

Topic Starter

Starter

hard drive all files are lost
    « on: June 01, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »
    [email]last week I got a 250GB hard drive from a neighbor so I wanted to see if it works.My computer has 2 hard drives in it .It came with one that has windows XP a few years back a friend installed a 20 GB hard drive as a slave drive which still had old files and pictures on it.To see if this other hard drive works that I just got I unplug drive F and plug in the new used one it worked as a slave .So then I wanted to see if it worked as a master so I unplug the master and plug the slave as master it didn't"t work.Which was fine to me. Well then I want to see if my hard drive F would work as a master when I turned it on win 98 came up I think in safe mode.well I shut down put it all back the way it was and now drive F is gone and empty can anyone help we had years of pictures and files on there are they lost forever email me at ******

Email address removed for security reasons
    « Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:34:28 PM by Broni »

xavier

Re: hard drive all files are lost
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »
    Put everthing back in [Hard drives] the way they were before you put in the used one] Go into BIOS & check to see what is recognised, if recognised make any changes as far as boot order.# 2 you also if not succesfull only use the OS hard drive & do the same in bios. Make sure you have your jumper settings correct. GOOD LUCK LET know results

jroach15

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 03:45:23 PM »
      well I put everything back the way it was it still shows the hard drive F but it looks like an empty drive my c drive is NTFS D is Fat 32 and ffile system not available and it keep asking me to format  which I havn't just incase I can recover the files on it I don't know what to do helpppppppp! I don't know what file system it had before

jroach15

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 03:48:20 PM »
        Put everthing back in [Hard drives] the way they were before you put in the used one] Go into BIOS & check to see what is recognised, if recognised make any changes as far as boot order.# 2 you also if not succesfull only use the OS hard drive & do the same in bios. Make sure you have your jumper settings correct. GOOD LUCK LET know results

well I put everything back the way it was it still shows the hard drive F but it looks like an empty drive my c drive is NTFS D is Fat 32 and ffile system not available and it keep asking me to format  which I havn't just incase I can recover the files on it I don't know what to do helpppppppp! I don't know what file system it had beforeuote]

xavier

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 04:21:57 PM »
        If you are using XP Windows on that HD try booting with the XP cd and see if you can get to the repair screen[R].

daryllsilorio

Intermediate

• "Say hello to my little friend!"
          « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 07:43:22 PM »
          the files system of your F drive is FAT 32 coz it run in win 98
          maygering