Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Erased Hard drive now cannot boot major Problems Help!!!  (Read 2543 times)

cricket93

Topic Starter

Starter

Erased Hard drive now cannot boot major Problems Help!!!
    « on: June 02, 2008, 07:42:39 AM »
    My system is visionman SS300-Tsocket 775 Gamer; intel pent 4 530 3.0GHz;512mb DDR400; 80GB SATA HDD; running Windows XP Home. 
    I just erased my hard drive I was haveing som many problems with virus etc.. that I just wanted to start over and everything else would not work to get it clean.  But know that I did that and try to reboot to start reinstalling I cannot not get past even the first screen of bootup it will just be a blank screen with a blinking cursor.  I have tried removing the battery from the mobo and then restarting the CMOS but still no change.  Please help I do realize I need more memory etc, and a new HDD but for now I just want to see if I can get this system working again before the virus attack.

Thanks

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Erased Hard drive now cannot boot major Problems Help!!!
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:45:29 AM »
    Are you booting from the Windows CD?

Is your CD drive set at the first boot device in the BIOS?

cricket93

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:06:46 AM »
      Yes it is the first to boot in BIOS but it wont even get to that point to boot from any drive. Yes I am trying from a Windows CD.  I was wondering did i fry my motherboard which is M957G(v1.0) PCChips board.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:12:09 AM »
      It sounds to me like it's skipping the CD drive in the boot process.

1. Make sure a bootable CD is in the drive. If there's no CD in the drive, it will go to the next boot option.
      2. Make sure the BIOS is set to boot from CD.
      3. Check all cables. If it can't find the CD drive, it will go to the next boot option.
      4. Make sure drive jumper positions are all correct.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:16:04 AM »
      If you are loading Windows XP onto a computer with a serial ATA (SATA) hard drive, you will have to manually load the SATA drivers.

Hopefully you have the SATA drivers available on a floppy...

Then, boot system by Windows XP installation CD, when the message "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver" shows up, press "F6". Then, press "S" to specify additional device when next screen pops up. Put the driver floppy disk in and press enter to continue. You will then be asked to select the driver. Then select "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows XP)".) After the SATA driver loads and Windows XP can recognize the SATA HDD, you can continue to install Windows XP as usual.

cricket93

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
        I could not get it to read my main drive but it would my cd writer and I have started loading windows so hopefully this will continue to work and I can get back to work.  Thank you for all the help!! This site was the only one that actually anwered me and helped me out.  If I have any more questions I will be back.
        Thanks again!!!

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 08:58:53 AM »
        It must see your CD writer as the main drive, depending on the jumpers and cable, which would show my theory was correct  ;D. It couldn't find the CD where it wanted it and therefore skipped the CD drive and went on to the hard drive, hence why you were just seeing the cursor.

Glad you got it sorted though, let us know if you have any more problems get Windows set up again.