Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to recover data from corrupt partition  (Read 3043 times)

Esteban

Need to recover data from corrupt partition
« on: February 11, 2005, 04:51:11 AM »
Ok, I had this problem. Please help me.
My brother created in his 20Gb hard disk a 5Gb Linux partition with Partition Magic. He didnīt use it at all.

Trying to erase that partition to get back to the 20Gb total HD capacity, I downloaded Aefdisk 2.0 from downloads.com and executed this lines:

aefdisk /delall (to erase the linux partition)

and then

aefdisk 1 /pri:0:0c (which effectively created a primart Windows partition with all the space of the HD)

if I excecute the /show command, I can see this line in the table:

1   0c   Fat32 LBA   19461Mb   **

The problem now is that the computer wonīt boot from this HD. If i boot from the floppy, then I type c:[enter], I can see the c: prompt, but if i try to see the directory tree (dir [enter]), i receive an error message. I even installed this HD as a slave in another computer to try to recover the files, and still couldnīt gain access to it.

I have very important files in that HD and need to recover them. Please help me !

ricky1me

Re: Need to recover data from corrupt partition
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 12:15:21 PM »
Sounds like you blew away all the partitions. Do you have the install cd? You should probably reload it and lick your wounds and learn for next time. Get Image for dos and image your entire system partition on to cd's for disaster recovery, as well as doing regular backups of important files for safety.