Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it normal for the Windows XP Service Pack 2 update to run...  (Read 2032 times)

ComputerTired

Topic Starter

Beginner

for about 3 going on 4 hours?

I'm updating my Windows XP computer, and the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard is going on for many hours.

Is that okay?

It seems to be stuck on performing cleanup, but it seems as if this performing cleanup is the LAST step because it says finishing installation.

I might just let it run through the night if I have to. Just wondering is this okay/normal for it to go this long.

Also, if I have to cancel the update, is it possible that it would affect my computer in a horrible way? Meaning, would my computer still be able to start up?

I created a system restore point just in case the update doesn't work out in my favor [  :P ] and I also saw that a checkpoint of the update said creating a restore point so I have two now.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Is it normal for the Windows XP Service Pack 2 update to run...
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
    I'd leave it alone overnight.
    It doesn't sound normal, but at this point, IMHO, the best option is to wait.

ComputerTired

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:13:27 PM »
      Alright, so I let the scan run, and in the end, it said that the update has encountered a problem. I ran an error report and tried to see if they had a way to fix the problem, but unfortunately they did not.

I'm unsure if this incomplete scan has damaged my computer. There isn't any obvious, above the surface signs, but is there a way that I can check further in my computer to make sure it isn't damaged?

Also, I took screen shots just incase you need them showing that the update could not be installed.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »
      If it didn't install, it reversed all changes, so no harm done.
      As to for why?

Download HijackThis:
      http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
      Click on Download HijackThis Installer
      Post HijackTHis log.