Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trying to open a text document but only opens in wordpad and i need it in works!  (Read 3167 times)

sammiea

Topic Starter

Starter

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can tell me how i can change the setting on my computer so as when i open text documents they automatically open up in works rather than in wordpad as when they open in wordpad the text document is all distorted!

When i click to open any document (im trying to download an application form) it only gives me the option to open, cancel or save and if i open or save it opens/saves as a word doc and is all distorted.

Please help!
    Thanks Sammie :o)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    What operating System is this?

Try right clicking on the .doc file, go to Properties and where it says 'Opens With', click Change and choose Microsoft Word.

sammiea

Topic Starter

Starter

Hi there

Sorry its Windows XP Home edition.

The application form is on a website, when i right click the link to the application form i get a menu appear and when i click on properties i just get info about the doc, like Protocol, Type and Address. There is no options to change where it opens with  ???

Is there not a setting on my computer so as i can set it to open all documents with works rather than word??

Thanks again
      Sammie  ;)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      You should be able to save the form on the computer and then change it to open with Works, thus making the browser open it as works.

Got the Operating System but what browser are you using?

sammiea

Topic Starter

Starter

Hi

Im using Internet Explorer - is that what you mean by browser?

Thanks
        Sammie

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        is that what you mean by browser?
        Yes, Internet Browser.

From my experience with IE, I just have to change the file association on the computer and then it will open in the chosen program.

Have you tried what I suggested?

sammiea

Topic Starter

Starter

Hi there

Yes i have tried that and i can save the file and then i track it down on my computer and can open it with works but even tho its now readable the boxes where i am to write my info on the application form are still somewhat out of sync - i have tried to make their font smaller but its still missing some info - any ideas?

Thanks for your help so far  ;)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          I'm no expert on Works but I know that sometime when you try to download something of the internet, it doesn't alway work (unless you've seen someone do this with this same form).
          For example, if you try to download flash games off a website, the game might not work.

If that made any sense...  ::)

Hopefully someone will come along shortly with a definite answer.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          Please post a link to web site in question, and tell us what exactly you're trying to download.

wereit

Rookie

Hi there, from what I can gather is that you are trying to open a wordpad doc with a works doc programme, and that you are using xp as your os.

If this is so, the first response is quite correct, right click, open with, and tick the box marked 'open all docs of this type in the future' for future automation.

I hear that you do not have this option appear when you right click the wordpad file.  Even if you did you could expect some diffenernces in the layout, as we are talking different programmes.

Have you tried opening microsoft works word, and then clicking file, open, and navigating to your wordpad file, selecting that and opening... ?

Give it a go.....

or try this link for a how too...http://www.umsl.edu/technology/instructionalcomputing/docs/Works%20to%20Word%20Conversion.pdf

Good luck.... 8)

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]
            the link between MAN and GEEK