Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: electrical smell  (Read 2000 times)

computer help

Topic Starter

electrical smell
    « on: June 05, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »
    My pc has a electrical smell comming from it when turned on for a short time.  The fan is running and I have pulled the cpu out of it's encloser with the same result.  Resently, the computer has shut itself off, is this related?  The HP pavillon runs windows XP. 

brett74

Apprentice

Re: electrical smell
      « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:41:26 PM »
      sounds like something is overheating or overheated clean out the case and also check for anything that might be burning inside.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:07:57 PM »
        Resently, the computer has shut itself off, is this related?

yes. as brett74 already suggested, clean out the case and all heatsinks and fans. visually inspect the motherboards circuitry. look for burnt, or "toasted" components (golden brown components). also look for impregnated or leaky capacitors, specifically the ones close to the CPU heatsink. impregnated capacitors will be bulging, either from the top or the sides or both. correctly functioning radial cylindrical capacitors will have a perfectly flat top.   

until the problem has been found, i strongly recommend NOT powering on the computer as it may present a fire hazard.

computer help

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:15:43 PM »
          Thank you, I will check all of the items you have mentioned.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
            • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »
          Hello!

May we also know what happened or what wre you doing before the computer went off?
          "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
          --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »
          One other area...which wasn't mentioned...

Sniff the fan area of the power supply...to see if this may be where the smell is coming from.