Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: external hard drives  (Read 3103 times)

ecurb

external hard drives
« on: February 12, 2005, 09:38:15 AM »
Hi,  I'm looking into an external hard drive to store movies an pics from my DV camcorder an DVD burning software.
 My question is,  if I buy an external hardrive with USB/1394 firewire interface do I need to change my USB 1.1 pci card to a 2.0 USB/firewire card to get max speed or just use the available 1.1 USB port?    TIA

Computer_Commando

Re: external hard drives
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 10:47:52 AM »
...if I buy an external hardrive with USB/1394 firewire interface do I need to change my USB 1.1 pci card to a 2.0 USB/firewire card to get max speed or just use the available 1.1 USB port?

To get USB 2.0 speed, you will need a USB 2.0 card.  USB 2.0 device will work, but at a slower speed in the USB 1.1 port.

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 01:59:20 PM »
    Hello how are you? Yes, if you want to get full benifit of external hard drive then you must change USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. to get high speed.

Take care of you and others and be happy.
    Bye...:)
    Dur-E-Wahab
    do take care of you and others

ecurb

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 08:29:15 AM »
    thanks folks,  after thinking about it I realized it was a dumb question of sort,  getting caught up in this puter stuff can be confusing.....  but, thats why I came here! lol

I went to Bestbuys an bought a Western Digital 120G external HD,  but they were out of the USB/Firewire combo cards.  So I ordered 1 and more memory online.

Anyone had any problems with these combo cards?  I'll do so research here.    Thanks,  Bruce