Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with starting Windows XP Home Edition  (Read 2245 times)

lamapanchen0101

Topic Starter

Problems with starting Windows XP Home Edition
    « on: June 12, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »
    Last night, I was uploading CD’s to my iTunes and I was about to attach a USB cable to the computer when it froze.  The music which was playing froze on spot and would play the same note in a pulsating manner; I was unable to move the mouse pointer and the <CTRL-ALT-DELETE> would not respond…thus, I was forced with no choice but to do a hard shut-down (which I don’t like to do).

I left the computer off for five minutes before turning it back on.  The computer appeared to be coming on normally:

•   The E-machines logo came on (normal when turning on)
    •   Next screen was normal too (can’t describe it)

The next screen was one I’d seen before but this was when I realised there was something wrong.  There were five options but only three I remember off my head:

•   Start in Safe Mode
    •   Start using most recent settings
    •   Start Windows Normally

First, I select “Start Windows Normally” and this is what happened

•   The Windows logo came one with a status bar underneath showing it is process/loading up (normal)
    •   At one point I see the bars going across the status bar pause once or twice
    •   Windows logo disappears and a blank black screen appears
    •   Nothing happens after this and I shut down the computer

After 10 minutes I turn the computer on again following the same steps above but this time I select “Start in Safe Mode”

•   A screen with DOS prompts and what either looks like commands or file names appear in a long list show up on the screen
    •   Nothing happens after this
    •   Turn computer off after 10 minutes

Waited 10 minutes and turn the computer on again and then I select “Start Windows using most recent settings”

•   Same thing happens as above when having selected “Start Windows Normally”
    •   After ten minutes shut computer down

Left the computer off all night and turned it on this morning and followed the same process with selecting “Start Windows Normally” – same results as the night above.

If you have any step-by-step advice/options on how to remedy this, it would be most appreciative.

Best,
    Darrin

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Problems with starting Windows XP Home Edition
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
    Do you have the Windows Disc handy? You might need it.

After 10 minutes I turn the computer on again following the same steps above but this time I select “Start in Safe Mode”

•   A screen with DOS prompts and what either looks like commands or file names appear in a long list show up on the screen
    •   Nothing happens after this
    •   Turn computer off after 10 minutes
    Are you sure you waited 10 minutes? The list of code is normal and it sometimes 'freezes' for quite a while before entering Safe Mode.

lamapanchen0101

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:47:35 AM »
      Thanks for responding quickly.

Yes, I waited 10 minutes because I used a timer to ensure, and no, I don't have the Windows disc as it is at home and I at work.

Since writing this, I found out my partner was able to get Windows started again but has indicated we may have lost some drivers (he's a little more techy than I am obviously).  Thus, we should be able to start the computer this evening at which time we will back everything onto our external hard drive.

My partner plans to do a reformatting of the hard drive on the weekend which will be a lenghty process as he will do this on a regular basis to ensure the longevity of the HD.

Admittedly, our CPU is old (over 4 years) and is probably due for a replacement.  If we need to replace it, I hope we can find a CPU which is not VISTA based as we have a number of hardware/software items which will not be compatible with that operating system.

Best,
      Darrin

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »
      There are no processors that are just "Vista based". You'll probably have trouble finding a processor that will fix your motherboard if it is 4 years old. Most of them now are 775, and probably won't fit in your older motherboard.