Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows reinstall stuck in safe mode  (Read 2408 times)

stumble

Topic Starter

Beginner

• me(mother) and my daughter (left)
  • Experience: Experienced
Windows reinstall stuck in safe mode
« on: June 14, 2008, 01:45:26 PM »
My computer was having problems so I set it to turn on in safe mode using msconfig in attempt to fix it.   Soon after that it went into a reboot-no.option.work cycle.  I had had this problem before so like before  I threw in the 6 Windows boot disks and reloaded Windows XP Home from the CD.   

My problem is - since I am in  msconfig safe mode Windows can't load because it can't can't load in safe mode and I can't change the boot option because I can't get into Windows.

As a last ditch approach I could scrub the drive and start from scratch but then I lose all pictures (may lose them anyway)  and my movie downloads and partial downloads and bookmarks.

Any suggestion for a fix in this situation?

Sandy in FL   ???

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
    • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows reinstall stuck in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
Hello!

Try doing  chkdsk /r  from the windows recovery console.

Goodluck and keep us posted! ;D
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

stumble

Topic Starter

Beginner

• me(mother) and my daughter (left)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »
I ran the 6 boot floppies again and this time I picked R for Recovery.  I did a bootcfg / list and then a bootcfg / change (or something  like that) and changed safe mode to a simple fastdetect.  Now Windows is completing its load.  I wonder what I'll have left to work with once it gets loaded.  I'm glad I have mre than one computer. Thanks for your concern.

Sandy

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »
I set it to turn on in safe mode using msconfig
Avoid it in the future. If Windows has some corruption, you often end up stuck in Safe Mode.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
    • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »
Cool!
And nice tip, Mr. Broni! ;D
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano