Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Fresh INstall  (Read 2522 times)

Bren

Windows XP Fresh INstall
« on: February 14, 2005, 09:10:28 PM »
Im trying to do a fresh install of Winxp on a friends pc. I started off by botting with a win98 cd and removing the partition. I rebooted and went into the setup of WinXP. About 17% Into copying setup files it says it can't read the disc and it won't copy anymore files after that.

I tried a fresh install on my own pc with the same disc and it works without a problem. Any tips or suggestions?

Bren

Re: Windows XP Fresh INstall
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 09:16:10 PM »
Im giving win98 a shot but it sits at the formatting screen at 0% and goes nowhere.
I did put the HD in my pc as a slave and tried to format it but it never finishes. It will do  aquick format but not the long one. Im thinking the hard drive may have errors. Is it maybe possible to install XP over a network?

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 04:45:26 AM »
    I think too the harddisk has problems.

cjkgmgod

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 05:16:48 AM »
    Sounds like a hardware issue definitly. Try buying a new hard drive and just doing a boot up with the XP disk.  All XP disk are bootable and there is no reason to use the 98 boot disk.
    Before you buy a new hard drive try using Just the XP disk and tell it to delete the active partition and then create one and format it using the NTFS file system.