Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power cable connectors  (Read 2842 times)

Doghouse

Topic Starter

Rookie

Power cable connectors
    « on: June 25, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »
    I am getting a new graphics card (GeForce 8800GT), and I need to connect it to my power supply.  The only unused connectors I see inside my computer are located on lines that are connected to other things.  One is about 4 inches before another connector plugged in to something (I think it's where some USB and other ports are), and the other is after a connector plugged in to my CD/DVD drive, just hanging there after a few inches of cable. 

Like this:

Power supply------------------unused connector---------connector in USB, etc.
    Power supply------------------connector in CD/DVD---------unused connector

Can those unused connectors be used as well, or do I have to get a new power supply with more cables coming out of it?

Thanks.

JHenderson

Beginner
      Re: Power cable connectors
      « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »
      You can use the open ones

homer

Expert
        « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
        You can use the open ones

what he said. any unused connector can be used.

Doghouse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:48:03 AM »
          Thanks for the replies.  I wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to take needed power away from the other components on the line, or fry my computer, or anything like that!

Is there a special reason why there are multiple connectors on the same set of wires?  To reduce the number of wires coming out of the power supply, maybe?

homer

Expert
            « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:32:50 PM »
            To reduce the number of wires coming out of the power supply, maybe?

thats exactly it.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »
              To connect things in parrelle like cd drives an floppy drives an Harddrives ect.
              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

homer

Expert
                « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:04:42 PM »
                To connect things in parrelle like cd drives an floppy drives an Harddrives ect.

therefore effectively reducing the number of wires coming out of the power supply. we have already got that covered squall...

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
                  Just wanted him to make sure that its understood.  The average person dont care just wanted him to know what there for.
                  Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

homer

Expert
                    « Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 04:19:15 PM »
                    just wanted him to know what there for.

we already know what they are for. they are for reducing the number of wires coming out of the PSU as was said previously.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 04:21:56 PM »
                      I know that I mean him

homer

Expert
                        « Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 04:26:22 PM »
                        he already knows, i was merely confirming his suspicion. read the previous posts.

Doghouse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 04:27:22 PM »
                          So, does that mean that they are for reducing the number of wires coming out of the PSU?  (Just kidding.)  ;)

Thanks everyone for the clarification.  I guess it's a pretty basic thing, but I had never really thought about it (or had to find out).

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 04:40:23 PM »
                            The average person dont care.