Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless adapter is not working  (Read 3099 times)

JXY

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Wireless adapter is not working
    « on: June 30, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »
    Hi,

recently, my wireless adapter suddenly stopped working. it happened at the same time my standby button greyed out.

i've got an intel (R) Wireless WiFi link 4965AGN

and intel 965 chipset.

i'm running xp pro sp3, and again, i can't remember what i did to cause the change.

funnily enough, my wired internet is working.

any suggestions will be appreciated.  :D
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

apple266

Intermediate

• Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Wireless adapter is not working
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:14:13 PM »
    Are your drivers all installed properly?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
      JXY,I had a very similar problem some time back with a "Trendnet" wireless adapter and a few things became apparent from that episode.If you do have a problem where there is a loss of what was a previously working unit then: uninstall the software associated with the device (from add/remove programs).Then paying particular attention as to whether you should leave the hardware not plugged in (was the situation in my case) reinstall the software (again paying close attention to if there is a specific item to be clicked on for whatever the operating system it is to be associated with).At some point it should say "you may now connect the hardware".That sequence in my case was what became necessary to get it working again. Also changing the USB port might help. I also recommend a phone call to the manufacturer if the previous fails. I have used that route with another brand of wireless router and was helped immensely by their tech support. Also some highspeed service providers will help (but not always--they usually will refer you to the router manufacturer). Goodluck,truenorth

JXY

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:25:02 AM »
        thnx for the responses. :p

i have uninstalled the drivers and re-installed them, to no avail.

but, i should probrably make a few things clear. my wireless adapter is built in to my laptop, it's not connected via usb port. Also, i'm not talking about router problems either. If i boot into vista (dual boot), i can access wireless networks fine. It's just XP for some reason.

about the drivers, i'll try re-installing them again. However the one i've found on the net haven't helped so far.

will keep trying.

JXY
        Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime