Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD Not recognised, clicking sound?  (Read 1932 times)

Cazdee

Topic Starter

HDD Not recognised, clicking sound?
    « on: June 30, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »
    Hi,
    Wondering if you could help....

I did a fresh install of XP and have an additional HD (Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 internal HD). When I did the fresh install, i made sure the HD was unplugged. So then I got it all sorted and plugged in the HD. Since the install, my computer BSOD'ed a few times, but i fixed that. Unfortunately, since it happened, my computer is not recognising my HD (and is running pretty noisily and overheating too!). I'm pretty sure the HD is on it's way out, but I have some really important docs on it which I need. Can anyone give any advice as to how to get it worked for about 20 minutes or so (at the least) to get my stuff from it?!

Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: HDD Not recognised, clicking sound?
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »
    Stop using the drive immediately

The best method for this is hooking it up as a slave drive but you need to have everything prepared ahead of time because in some cases you will get ONLY ONE chance.

Make sure the other drive has enough room for the large file transfers needed...trying to burn them instead of transferring them takes more time and improves the chance of it failing.

If it has been doing this awhile i'd suggest placing the drive in a Ziploc bag in the freezer for a few hours...this has been known to improve the read/write mechanisms running long enough to get the data off.

As i said be well prepared ahead of time and Good Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Cazdee

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
      How do I hook it up as a slave drive?  I've heard about the freezer thing, but thought itn was a myth... how long should i freeze it for?

And also, if i do freeze it, will that make bios recognise it?

Thanks

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:03:47 PM »
        Put it in for a few hours like Patio said / take it out and hook it up to an external case (it's easier than putting it in the computer and having to set jumpers if you're not used to doing that kind of thing).

Quick as a bunny, when the computer sees the drive copy all your stuff to the good drive.  This may or may not work as I've had it happen both ways.

Good luck!

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!