Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU CHANGE FILES  (Read 2152 times)

RUBY02

Topic Starter

Rookie

HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU CHANGE FILES
    « on: June 30, 2008, 07:10:50 PM »
    WHEN YOU boot windows and go into the control panel or made a change to how somethings happends with your mouse does that something such as file options, default options whatever is it connected to a file in windows folder and changes as you make your options
    then you can go the folder through windows file
    then you can go to the cmd prompt
    then you can go to the regedit and change files
    what is the purpose does each one have it's specific purpose but you can also change settings and such.
    if you go into the windows file and make another file called autoexect.nt will that file work with the other autoexect.nt file(in theory they are there)
    can you also take a window file and run it through a compiler and see the program. i know some files i can reach by clicking others you have to have something that can read them what is it?
    ruby

Hedonist

Intermediate

Re: HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU CHANGE FILES
      « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 01:51:54 AM »
      can you also take a window file and run it through a compiler and see the program
      You obviously do not know the purpose of a compiler - have a look here..  What you want is a decompiler which is explained at this site.

However, if decompilers were freely available and if they really work, we'd all be reverse engineering Microsoft products.

i know some files i can reach by clicking others you have to have something that can read them what is it?
      Are you thinking of binary files where you need a hex editor?

if you go into the windows file and make another file called autoexect.nt will that file work with the other autoexect.nt file(in theory they are there)
      Do you really mean autoexec.nt (note it's autoexec not autoexect).  Why would you want a second copy of the same file when you can quite simply edit the existing autoexec.nt file using a text editor such as Notepad?

RUBY02

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU CHANGE FILES
        « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »
        okay thank you for anwsering my question concerning the compiler you are right i don't know the purpose other than if you create a program it compiles it and turns it into a working class file. 

why when you build a program is it not working does a complier help you test it as you go along or is it a hassle to compile. do you do it in stages
        that what i have not been able to get that far.
        i have programs written a java.class, a conversion.cpp, a hello world, a few programs in c++  and a few more but i can't get their whatever going  so they are all on notepad from there what do you do.

the reason i ask these question is i have a copy of the windows program i am just playing around with just for the sake of exploring. i take everything apart,  cars (mysite), computers, whatever stands still long enough. and no i have never taken a male apart there are a few forget that but,  i want to open more of them up. for the past 6 mo. i have been dabbling in programming.  i know why more than i can do because the prompt and commands had me stuck i could not simply get a command to work. studpid me was using brackets slashes other signs as i got mad. and i thought being in med field external was external(on disk) i am making disk after disk,. i can somewhat now.  you know if you read my other post you can see i am a mess.

now for the sake of the question about windows
        i have downloaded a file analyzer
        i have downloaded a jdk
        i have downloaded html  i can write and create with the editor
        i have downloaded gnu  i can not get the variables and i believe the rhide does not work in NT i have to do more reading there are ten things
        i have downloaded python i have not even tried
        i have downloaded a hex editor i have not tried
        i have downloaded linux i was told LINUX IS THE LANGUAGE I NEED TO LEARN. i am finding out they all have their personalities but the same rules applies.
        i do too much stumbling i love that sight every programming site  i learn a lot.

anyway i wanted to learn how to use my prompt commands and be able to manipulate myself underground and set syntax commands and such
        and i wanted to be able to open files with the windows program. i have it on d drive i hope it does not sustain d drive like c

the reason i asked about the autoexec file (i knew it was wrong) i was too lazy and frazzeled that why i put in theory. because that is my problem the command prompt.  i could go underground to a file find it or not find it and set a new command  in another file with the same name i even created a couple because these programming books get me mixed up using "msdos" for xp. one even told me to put the gnu path variiable in autoexe.exe.  well for two days i searched found out xp boot disk does not have the commands do i put a win 98 dos boot disk in the system32 file.  then i find out why because xp is not a dos systems now everything begins to fall in place.
        for instance trying to get the gnu i had to set the path (whole new story i posted) i know more now but still can't get program to run in rhide window i am beginning to believe it doesn't. that i have to use windows prompt to program. yea or nay.  anyway i made another file.  i cannot or could not go to the windows prompt and get a command to work until someone told me how to get the c prompt by using cd\ and cls.  now i can get dir command
        and all the exe commands. even notepad from the prompt so i might be a programmer.  i would like to know what program i have to have to open those windows files that when you open them with note pad it looks srammbled spaced writing.
        thank you for your time priceless