Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reloading windows xp tablet edition  (Read 2736 times)

lilnate1191

Topic Starter

Rookie

reloading windows xp tablet edition
    « on: July 02, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »
    hi, i recently got a 2nd hand tablet pc that didnt have a cd drive in it just a 2nd battery, the bios has a PW so i cant change anything in that, i got a cd drive that plugs into the smart card reader but it wont boot from it, i've tried copying the cd onto a usb drive but still nothing, i also have a usb floppy drive if that would b helpful in any way. any help at all would b greatly appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: reloading windows xp tablet edition
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »
    Chances are that tablet does not support booting from a USB device...
    What exactly is it that you are trying to accomplish here ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lilnate1191

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:36:53 AM »
      i'll give you all my specs and why im tryin to reload the O/s
      windows XP tablet PC edition. 40gb sata HD, has a sata-ide converter cable so it needs 3rd party drivers, already downloaded and saved to a floppy. 512Mb ram, 2 batteries, one is in the CD drive slot, 1.7Gh intel celeron M processor, intel wireless B built in wireless card. in the boot proccess it says Phoenix cME FirstBIOS Notebook Pro, i 4get if that stand for the BIOS version or just the motherboard.
      i have a USB floppy drive and an exteral cd drive that plugs into the smart card reader.
      and the BIOS has a password

now im trying to reload the o/s weather its tablet edition or not makes little difference. its 2nd hand and has a bunch of different limitations that were set by the last IT tech, it originally loged directly onto a generic account but i cracked the passwords and now i can get onto the administrator account. it has a bunch of stupid programs that were for the buisness it was from and a mcaffee that wont uninstall and i cant get an anti virus to run properly so i've gotten a couple trojans and at this point i'd rather just format the hard drive and reload XP

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 08:37:35 AM »
      You need to contact the seller regarding the BIOS password....
      Other than that i would use a WinME boot floppy available at bootdisk.com to format the drive and start fresh.

lilnate1191

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:41:36 AM »
        after i do that would i be able to use the smartcard slot to run the cd? because if not i'd rather try another way so i dont end up without an o/s on it.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 04:47:47 PM »
        No.
        If you cannot boot from a USB device Setup will not run.
        If you format the drive before knowing what other options you have you could wind up with nothing.

What type of drive is in there and what OS do you plan on installing ? ?

lilnate1191

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »
          no built in drives except hard drive. i have my USB floppy that it will boot from, i have a 2Gb USB flash drive that it hasnt booted from so far, and i have my external CD-ROM that plugs into the PCMCIA. i have 2 USB 2.0 ports and one PCMCIA slot. i plan on installing windows XP sp2 with tablet drivers that will are included in the O/S and i have all the 3rd party drivers for SATA, PCMCIA, pen, wireless card and basically everything i would need.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »
          use a WinME boot floppy available at bootdisk.com to format the drive and start fresh.

lilnate1191

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:23:26 AM »
            if i choose to intall the 3rd party drivers for the PCMCIA slot should i be able to use it to load the O/s off the cd?

chaputikachagwa

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 01:56:01 AM »
              hi, i recently got a 2nd hand tablet pc that didnt have a cd drive in it just a 2nd battery, the bios has a PW so i cant change anything in that, i got a cd drive that plugs into the smart card reader but it wont boot from it, i've tried copying the cd onto a usb drive but still nothing, i also have a usb floppy drive if that would b helpful in any way. any help at all would b greatly appreciated.

You can   remove your hard disk to another pc,  try  instaling  other operating systems like Windos 200o or Windows Milneum. take the disk back to your current machine and astart working.