Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: modem not detected as new hardware  (Read 2435 times)

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

modem not detected as new hardware
    « on: July 05, 2008, 01:59:22 AM »
    USRobotics Modem 1785-00, Sportster 0461 is not detected as new hardware during startup.

The modem was installed after a hard drive erase, f-disk and windows reinstall.

The modem was working when removed from another computer.  The 0461 is replacing a previous modem that worked.

When checking "Modem" in the Control Panel, the first msg box that displays is titled "Install New Modem".

I have downloaded the driver for the modem from US Robotics

What should I do next?

stevejohnson1958

Re: modem not detected as new hardware
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:39:39 AM »
    cfmoore...

Here's a link to all the information you'll need including the installation maual for your modem:  005684-00, 005685-00 Faxmodem

That link will provide you with PDF manuals and installation guides...as well as a link at the bottom of the page for the driver/firmware for your device.

Pay close attention to this manual:  Installation Guide

Keep us posted...

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »
      The modem is still not recognized during start up.

Before I did the reinstall, I turned off the computer, removed the modem, and then restarted.  During the boot up there was a msg "Updating ESCD Success".  In "Modem" in the Control Panel, no modem was detected as installed.

After following the rest of the US Robotic install instructions, I saw the same "Updating ESCD Success" msg during boot up.  In "Modem", the first msg box to display is "Install New Modem" with the msg that new device has been detected.

What should I do next?

Chuck

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 01:38:40 PM »
      I'm assuming you're using the driver provided from the information I provided you in my previous post...correct?

At this point of the installation...you can let Windows search for the best driver automatically...using the Found New Hardware Wizard.  If this doesn't work...you'll have to tell the Wizard where the device driver is located by specifying the location of the driver.

When you downloaded that driver and installed it...it probably extracted itself into a directory.  Did you note the directory?  It will usually install in your local drive at:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

So you'll need to let the hardware installer know where to look for the driver.

If you've provided the correct path, the Wizard should continue...installing the appropriate driver for your modem.  At some point, you may/may not be directed to insert your Windows CD to complete the installation.

Once the new hardware installation is complete...you may/may not have to reboot the system to complete the installation.

Please let me know if you still need help with the installation.  I'll try to remain on line as long as possible...

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 02:04:51 PM »
        The modem has been installed.  It worked going through "Install New Hardware"

I had messed up with the driver installation.

I still have to set up the telephone connection

Would not have gotten this far without your help and others with other problems.  This is an old computer that had been atop a bookcase of old vinyl records for three years.  When I first pushed the on button, all it did was beep endlessly.  It would have been worth the expense to take it to the shop.  On the other hand I did not mind putting in the time to get it working.  I also learned along the way.  Feeling of accomplishment

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 02:12:39 PM »
        Glad to hear the modem's installed...

We all make mistakes every now and again...some more than others, but we muddle through and our sticktoitiveness keeps us focused on the task at hand.

You just saved yourself a good sum of money, by not taking it to the shop...

If there's anything else we can do for you...just shout...

All the best...