Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reading old e-mail  (Read 2423 times)

KRO

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Reading old e-mail
    « on: July 11, 2008, 06:57:59 AM »
     I have a lot of old email files saved on my computer back from when I had a local ISP. I can't read them, other than pages of html code and such in Firefox. I'd like to know which program could open these in their original form, pictures and all. I was using an older version of Netscape at the time, which I have deleted. I'm using Win98 and a slow dialup connection. Any ideas?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Reading old e-mail
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »
    Need more info.  How did you access your email with your former ISP?  Was it web-mail or POP mail?  If web-mail, how did you "save" it to your computer?

KRO

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:03:48 PM »
      I'm sorry if I was a little vague about my situation. All of my mail was saved to my POP3 providers mail folder in the windows application files. I used Netscape 7 to open and read it. I only recently found where they were kept. I had figured I had probably deleted them when I deleted Netscape 7. Firefox 2 or IE6 will open them as will Word, but like I said, they're all html code.
      Thanks for your reply. :)

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »
      This is unclear.
      You say, that you think, you deleted those emails when you uninstalled Netscape, but apparently those messages still exist, correct?
      It's possible, if when uninstalling Netscape, you didn't delete your profile.
      Now, we need to know, where exactly they are located in your computer (provide path), and what type of files they are (extension).
      What email program are you using now?
      What Windows version?