Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer / Fax / Copier  (Read 2103 times)

NonTechyMom

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Geek Wannabe! :-)
    Printer / Fax / Copier
    « on: July 16, 2008, 07:48:34 AM »
    HI ALL!

The home business I am now doing requires A LOT of faxing and printing.

So, I need a super douper FAX, Scanner, Printer.  Plus I need it under $200.

I saw a nice HP at Walmart and since my computer is HP I thought that one is good. It accepted flashdrives, and has everything I need. It is $136 and we have a NON tax day coming up in 2 weeks.

BUT, I want some feedback in this. ONCE I buy it, this machine will be my life blood for my business. I don't need one good enough for photos. I need to to scan, print, and fax A LOT of stuff clearly. The ink needs ot be easy to find.

So, what is the opinion of the group on this type of equipment?   ;D

(This place is my savior - I never do anything related to technology without coming here for advice!  ;D)

These are some of the examples of what I am looking at... BUT not final decisions yet.

I am worried about the small things that you never find out until you have used a product for some time. IF YOU have a favorite FAX, Scanner, Printer, please tell me about it.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5715444

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9886615

This one is not HP – Which worries me –
    MY HP does not seem to like to play well with others....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7757641

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:59:06 AM by NonTechyMom »
    If you have never risked anything, you will never have anything to risk.

- LT Blake

If you haven't failed at something today, you are not living or working hard enough. - LT Blake

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Printer / Fax / Copier
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:03:09 AM »
    I'd stick with HP ... Most all-in-ones are $99 to $200 with the inkjet printing type. Although it really depends on your printing volume as to which one to go with. To try to find one that will last you with a large volume going through it and be under $200 is pretty tight. Most of the all-in-ones that are inkjet like the Officejet series are throw aways, they work for 1 or 2 years depending on how much volume they print and then the plastic gears, springs, and other mechanicals wear making it tempermental or break and become DOA.

You might be able to find a refurb HP Laserjet type all in one with a warranty which will be able to handle more volume. Also the Laser type all-in-ones are supported for repairs by Authorized HP Dealing Computer repair shops, while the Officejet inkjet types are throw aways.

I am still thinking that a refurb laser printing type all-in-one HP is still going to run you above $300 though. If you can see yourself replacing this piece of hardware once every year or 2 years if you are lucky and dont mind all the $$$ INK $$$ that it will consume, then the Officejet Inkjet type is the way to go... But if you want a model to have for say the next 5-6 years and cheaper Toner printing vs $20 - $30 a piece small ink cartridges since you should be able to print about 2500 sheets on a single toner unit... some units have a X series toner with double print volume for a little more, and savings overall at about $100 for 2500 sheets printer vs the Ink Cartridge ( maybe 100 - 250 sheets printed for $30 - $60 before dry ) depending on if its just text printed or if you have pictures and bordering features that eat it up quickly.

Other important detail is if you want the ability to print in color or if Gray Scale works for you. If color printing then, Inkjet type is the way to go.. if you can get by with gray scale printing Black and White, then Laserjet type is the way to go.

The other option that HP has that might work out well since you are running a business with large volume printed is that you can Lease equipment at like $10 to $30 a month for an all-in-one solution. They even have plans that you state what you predict your printing volume to be and they send you the toner needed. No additional cost but electricity to run it,  and you can have the top of the line  office model for around $30 a month. If it breaks, HP has to replace ( that is as long as it malfunctioned and coffee wasnt spilled into it ). You can write this expense off in your taxes. If buying equipment less than $600, I think the IRS will allow for it to be written off as a one time expense and not a depreciative asset. See www.hp.com for more info...

Hope you find a model that works for you.... just be sure to install the software first before connecting any USB printer to avoid any issues. Most drivers want to be installed first and then detect the device during the software installation to avoid Windows from tagging it as an alternate generic device.

NonTechyMom

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Geek Wannabe! :-)
      Re: Printer / Fax / Copier
      « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:30:55 PM »
      I'd stick with HP ... Most all-in-ones are $99 to $200 with the inkjet printing type. Although it really depends on your printing volume as to which one to go with. To try to find one that will last you with a large volume going through it and be under $200 is pretty tight. Most of the all-in-ones that are inkjet like the Officejet series are throw aways, they work for 1 or 2 years depending on how much volume they print and then the plastic gears, springs, and other mechanicals wear making it tempermental or break and become DOA.

You might be able to find a refurb HP Laserjet type all in one with a warranty which will be able to handle more volume. Also the Laser type all-in-ones are supported for repairs by Authorized HP Dealing Computer repair shops, while the Officejet inkjet types are throw aways.

I am still thinking that a refurb laser printing type all-in-one HP is still going to run you above $300 though. If you can see yourself replacing this piece of hardware once every year or 2 years if you are lucky and dont mind all the $$$ INK $$$ that it will consume, then the Officejet Inkjet type is the way to go... But if you want a model to have for say the next 5-6 years and cheaper Toner printing vs $20 - $30 a piece small ink cartridges since you should be able to print about 2500 sheets on a single toner unit... some units have a X series toner with double print volume for a little more, and savings overall at about $100 for 2500 sheets printer vs the Ink Cartridge ( maybe 100 - 250 sheets printed for $30 - $60 before dry ) depending on if its just text printed or if you have pictures and bordering features that eat it up quickly.

Other important detail is if you want the ability to print in color or if Gray Scale works for you. If color printing then, Inkjet type is the way to go.. if you can get by with gray scale printing Black and White, then Laserjet type is the way to go.

The other option that HP has that might work out well since you are running a business with large volume printed is that you can Lease equipment at like $10 to $30 a month for an all-in-one solution. They even have plans that you state what you predict your printing volume to be and they send you the toner needed. No additional cost but electricity to run it,  and you can have the top of the line  office model for around $30 a month. If it breaks, HP has to replace ( that is as long as it malfunctioned and coffee wasnt spilled into it ). You can write this expense off in your taxes. If buying equipment less than $600, I think the IRS will allow for it to be written off as a one time expense and not a depreciative asset. See www.hp.com for more info...

Hope you find a model that works for you.... just be sure to install the software first before connecting any USB printer to avoid any issues. Most drivers want to be installed first and then detect the device during the software installation to avoid Windows from tagging it as an alternate generic device.

Hey, I can handle the $30 a month to rent! And then after about one year, if I am making the BIG bucks I can buy a nice one I need, or if my home business is a flop, I stop the service all together! That is cool! I like the renting idea. I had no idea how cheap that is!
      If you have never risked anything, you will never have anything to risk.

- LT Blake

If you haven't failed at something today, you are not living or working hard enough. - LT Blake