Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reasonable Obsolescence - A Survey  (Read 6605 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Reasonable Obsolescence - A Survey
« on: February 23, 2005, 10:46:25 AM »
Some folks may have read my other thread... About a Dell laptop that needs $1,000 of repairs 25 months after purchase.

MOST products, you would expect to last at least five years before wearing out - washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, should last even longer, and they take serious abuse!... A quick inventory of my house has
  • The same EQ I bought in 9th grade (I won't say how old it is, ahem, but it was Made in USA, and "Tattoo You" and "Moving Pictures" were the new albums I played on it!)
  • A VCR I bought in 1994, playing through
  • A TV I bought in 1990
  • Guitar amp bought in 1979

Now, I understand that technology becomes obsolete pretty quickly, but really... How long should the hardware last? I had a cassette player go bad after 12+ years - it was a bummer, but 12 years seems reasonable.

So, I'd like to open up this question:

[size=16]
HOW LONG should a piece of computer hardware REASONABLY last?
[/size]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:47:52 AM by rjbinney »
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Reasonable Obsolescence - A Survey
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 12:46:27 PM »
Well, that depend on how well made it was... If you got a "cheepie" laptop, then usually, you get what you pay for...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 01:12:45 PM »
Define "cheapie"...

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 01:28:58 PM »
Maybe a used product, or a product that you bought that you bought for a "steal".... For instance... If you bought a NEW laptop, which originally costs $1,500, and it is being sold for $500. If something is tto good to be true, usually it is...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 01:51:41 PM »
There are laws of statistical averages that define how long an electronic product will last.  It could last 1 day or 100 years.  That's why they offer extended warranties.  A warranty is just insurance.  Electronics don't "wear out" (hard drives do).

Laptops are disposable items for those that can afford it.  Mine died at 11 months and was repaired on the original 1 year warranty.  It died again, at 3 years, but I had purchased an extended 3 year warranty, which paid for that repair.  Will I buy a new notebook again? Not for $2000!!!  I won't even buy a new desktop, I rescue them from the trash and repair them.

Everything is disposable, now.  That's just the way it is and nobody seems to care.  Don't buy any new stuff unless you absolutely have to.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 02:05:35 PM »
Well, I guess that answers that.

I am not a poor man, but I am certainly not a wealthy man. I don't re-use coffee grounds, and I don't save table scraps for stew... But I can't wrap my brain around a $2,000 "disposable" laptop.

I do understand statistical reliability, and how warranties are put together (I now - thank you - remember the Monday 8AM class in Stats I had to suffer through in grad school. Thanks for the pain).

But warranties are frequently are SHORTER than the expected acceptable life, so the moron who cleans his disk drive with soapy water can't turn it in under warranty.

I am dealing with a situation where a piece of immobile electronics just stopped working... And because of the economics of technology, repair costs about twice what replacement would.

But I still feel totally ripped off by Dell. I never felt this tool was "disposable", but apparently, the people who sold it to me, do feel that way.  And that's irritating.

So what do others think - how long is "long enough"?

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 03:14:12 PM »
    According to my information, if you are asking that question with repect to change in the technology then according to survet by a company, the life of hardware is 8month and that of software is 16 months. After this time periode, technology will be completely change.
    If you are asking with repect to the life of hardware then no one guarentee about hardwares life especially with that of electronics. It may possible that a single piece of ur computer stops working on the very next day you baught ur PC or it may also possible that it continue to work properly after 10 or 12 years.

Bye...:)
    Dur-E-Wahab
    do take care of you and others

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 04:02:12 PM »
    No, I understand TECHNOLOGY becomes obsolete.

But HARDWARE should CONTINUE TO WORK.

That's my question.

Obviously, I am one of the few people who think things should work. This may be part of why our economy is in the toilet!

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 04:11:25 PM »
    1.  But warranties are frequently are SHORTER than the expected acceptable life,

2.  And because of the economics of technology, repair costs about twice what replacement would.

3.  But I still feel totally ripped off by Dell. I never felt this tool was "disposable", but apparently, the people who sold it to me, do feel that way.  And that's irritating.

So what do others think - how long is "long enough"?

1.  Marketing strategy.  Advertise a lower price and get some back in the extended warranty.
    2.  It's cheaper to make a new one in China than to repair one in the US.
    3.  You're not alone.  The people who sell it don't care, they're salesmen (saleswomen).  They feel nothing and know nothing about the product.  Your only recourse is to not buy another or buy another with an extended warranty.  Or better yet, buy a used one.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 08:29:52 PM »
     The people who sell it don't care, they're salesmen (saleswomen).  They feel nothing and know nothing about the product.

Actually, bought it off Dell's website. See, this was a GIFT to MYSELF... Not a work thing/expense. Something nice to have because I wanted something nice.

Live and learn, right?

gussery

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 03:40:07 PM »
    The standard life of a laptop is about 2 years if used as a laptop.  (Transported, plugged, unplugged, transported again, and again, and again).  A desktop computer or server is around 5 years (assuming it is not running all of the time).  Any additional time is a bonus.

I have seen some of each last less time and significantly more time.  It depends on enviromental conditions, handling, whether you kiss it good night, etc.  

Remember when it comes to a laptop the internal conditions are much harsher than a desktop due to tighter components and significantly less air flow = significantly higher internal temperatures.

Oh well you did ask..................

Gary

Computer_Commando

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 05:16:06 PM »
    ...Remember when it comes to a laptop the internal conditions are much harsher than a desktop due to tighter components and significantly less air flow = significantly higher internal temperatures....

Older laptops don't get so hot, so might last a lot longer than newer laptops.  I think I'll keep my P2 laptop (LOL).

R0SS

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 11:01:53 AM »
    Well i bought a new laptop, Dont ask me why. I got  1 and a half years out of it then POP lol.

I only used it for DVDS and Word prossessing.

But on the other hand i remember going to PCworld when i was young and we bought a Windows 95  desktop. Top of the range it had a 122mhz prossesor and 16 megs of RAM Cost £1200 but it was good. For about 3 months then out came the 700 mhz prosessors lol.

i must say we still have that computer and it runs fine, its slow but we have had not probs with it.

i dont know my point but hey thats a nice story for you  :D

[glb]R0SS[/glb]
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 11:02:55 AM by R0SS »

Joleen

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 11:33:19 AM »
    Dell is a distributer of other companies products basically.  Their service is great as long as you're under warranty.  There are more moving parts on a computer than a tv or amp and probably as much as a vcr.  Just like anything, quality makes a huge difference but at the same time, duds will sneak in.

mektek

Hopeful
    • Witty comment to be advised
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 04:13:16 PM »
      rjbinney - out of curiosity what needs repairing that will cost $1000 ?

I would get a 2nd quote on that price to check someone wasn't trying it on, or trying  to persuade me to buy a new lappie early

Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
      A computer that was working until tinkering broke it