Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hide IP Address?  (Read 3424 times)

Ken

Hide IP Address?
« on: February 24, 2005, 04:22:27 PM »
Is it possible to hide your ip address.  If so how

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Hide IP Address?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 06:34:59 PM »
A firewall.... Also, what are you trying to hide your IP from?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 06:53:44 PM »
    Ken....You can run but you can't hide

The above measures have now made you totally anonymous, right? Well, yes and no. They would certainly make it difficult for anyone to identify you personally but it can be done. If you have engaged in illegal or malicious activity and it has come to the attention of the authorities then that activity can be traced to your ISP account. A common feature of sites everywhere is logging. If you are reading this page then there is already an entry in the site logs here showing that a particular IP address came to this site at a particular time and accessed this page. The log will also show every image, page, and program accessed during the visit. That IP address can be traced to a particular ISP or proxy service. Normally the trail would stop cold at that point because these entities do not release any personally identifiable information in accordance with their established privacy policies. This means that I know that someone visited but really can't determine who. If the activity was illegal, however, site logs can be subpoenaed by a court of law all the way back through the chain and your ISP account can be positively identified as the source.

Hope this answers your question

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

ken

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 10:22:31 PM »
    Thanx for the replies guys.  Oh i'm not doing anything illegal or anything of that sort.  LoL so don't worry about it.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 08:13:46 AM »
    Well, in that case, you sound safe to me... Just as long as you have antivirus protection and a firewall, then you should be safe against most attacks...

[glb]Flame[/glb]